Wild yeast capture success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
I have been interested in trying to capture some wild yeast for a long time. A couple of months ago I tried it and had success.

I made up some 1.020 wort. Put about 250 ml in each of three mason jars. Covered them with cheesecloth. I put on jar under a large pine tree, the next jar in a pear tree that was flowering, the third jar I put near a big rosemary plant/bush that was. also flowering. I let them sit overnight, then brought them inside and covered them with sanitized foil.

First jar was a big fail. All I got was mold. Second jar (pear tree) fermented out, smelled like yeast, so I stepped it up. After several days I put the flask in the fridge to crash it out. The yeast just would not drop out, but stayed in suspension. It smelled ok but I decided not to use this yeast. The third jar (rosemary) was a big success. I let it ferment out for a little over a week. Smelled very good, fruity/spicy. Like a good Belgian or saison. I stepped it up and it went crazy. So I stuck it in the fridge to drop the yeast out. Smelled fantastic. I decided to make a very simple one gallon extract batch. I used one lb. of pils DME and 1/2 lb wheat DME. I added some Strisselspalt hops to bitter it a little. It took off like a rocket, within 5 hours I put on a blow off tube because it looked it was going to blow. It took the brew down to 1.004.

Bottled it up and it tasted great at bottling time. Now three weeks later and fully carbed up it is a very good brew. It is a little fruity with some spice. This will make a very good saison. I washed the yeast and now have 5 small jars of this yeast for future brews. On Saturday I am going to do a 5 gallon batch.

Here is a pic of the fermenter at 5 hours after pitching, and a pic of the finished brew.

If you have ever thought about trying to capture wild yeast it is worth a try. I had two failures, but this one success made it worth while.

wildyeast2.jpg

wildyeast.jpg

That's freakin awesome. I have always wanted to try this out. I'm definitely going to do it now. Great job. Congrats.

That's freakin awesome. I have always wanted to try this out. I'm definitely going to do it now. Great job. Congrats.

Give it a try. I did it when the weather was cooler. I heard this lowers the chance of getting mold.

Right now with all the rain we have been getting would be a bad time to try it.

The yeast does taste great, and I am very thrilled to use it in a good recipe. I an not sure if I want to do a saison or maybe a Belgian with it. I do have five jars of it so I may do several brews to see where it works best.

That sounds amazing! I think I going to give that a try this weekend. I've been planning on making a saison anyway and would love to use a wild strain. Thanks for the story.

That sounds amazing! I think I going to give that a try this weekend. I've been planning on making a saison anyway and would love to use a wild strain. Thanks for the story.

You never know what you are going to get. I did this back in May when it was cooler. Now that it is hot out you may get mold, but give it try anyway. It really does not cost anything.

I'm glad to see some success. I'm gonna try to get some yeast off the local palisade peaches. I was thinking about getting one and skinning it, then putting it in some 1.020 dme starter.

Thoughts? I was gonna use about a half gal or less and put a airlock on top. I've never attempted to capture wild yeast so this would be a first.

Mike

Last night I placed four jars under different trees and bushes, covered with pantyhose. But I made the wort stronger than it should be, I forgot that it shouldn't be as strong as a starter, I think mine was about .40. Should I start over and make another wort which isnt as strong?

I think I should discard one of them already, because I forgot that the bush I placed it under is one of my dogs favorite pee-bush.

Last night I placed four jars under different trees and bushes, covered with pantyhose. But I made the wort stronger than it should be, I forgot that it shouldn't be as strong as a starter, I think mine was about .40. Should I start over and make another wort which isnt as strong?

I think I should discard one of them already, because I forgot that the bush I placed it under is one of my dogs favorite pee-bush.

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read a very small amount of low OG wort is best. Because you are capturing a very small amount, you don't want to stress the yeast too much.

At this point you have nothing to lose by just letting them go and seeing what happens.

Since I posted I have done a 5 gallon saison recipe using the yeast and just toook a sample. Tasted great and was down to 1.003. I am going to battle it soon.

Sounds like a fun little project. When is the best time to try this? Also, do you decide which to use based on the smell alone?

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read a very small amount of low OG wort is best. Because you are capturing a very small amount, you don't want to stress the yeast too much.

At this point you have nothing to lose by just letting them go and seeing what happens.

Since I posted I have done a 5 gallon saison recipe using the yeast and just toook a sample. Tasted great and was down to 1.003. I am going to battle it soon.

This is old, but just to update.

I manage to capture something and put it on my stirpate. I got tonnes of wild yeast. It's been sitting in the fridge for a while now so I guess I should give it another spin on the plate to keep em healthy.

Cool. Give it some time and then put it in the fridge to see if it drops out of suspension. I had one that fermented out well, but just would not floc out.

Once I found a promising strain I did a small one gallon test batch. Still using the washed yeast from that test batch.

This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing. I will do the same thing throughout the grow season to see what comes of it.

What some folk from a couple breweries with coolships shared was cooler temperatures limit lacto activity and fall is best to limit pollen. I think that is for brewing beer, where spoilage is a greater concern. But for harvesting microbes, any time I suppose is good.

Perhaps to account for trickier molding, we can try placing multiple jars under fruit trees. I will give this a try in a couple weeks and share what I find.

Thanks for the awesome post! Gave this a shot last night in my herb garden and I hope I got a keeper!

It is funny to see this thread brought up again. I am brewing a saison right now and am using my wild yeast.....

I have been growing it up off of the original batch. When I get to the last jar I just grow up a bunch more..I now have 5 jars of it in my fridge.

It is funny to see this thread brought up again. I am brewing a saison right now and am using my wild yeast.....

I have been growing it up off of the original batch. When I get to the last jar I just grow up a bunch more..I now have 5 jars of it in my fridge.

How long did it take to see activity initially?

Ive been wanting to do this for a while, but am windering if there are ways to increase the likelihood of capturing a strain that is what I am looking for.. i.e. Are ale strains more around apple trees? Are wine strains more around grapevines? Any thoughts on this?

Ive been wanting to do this for a while, but am windering if there are ways to increase the likelihood of capturing a strain that is what I am looking for.. i.e. Are ale strains more around apple trees? Are wine strains more around grapevines? Any thoughts on this?

It seemed pretty random for me. Three attempts and all got different results. All of them were within about 50 feet from each other.

It seemed pretty random for me. Three attempts and all got different results. All of them were within about 50 feet from each other.

So... Once I have a culture going... I will need to learn the characteristics of the strain to use it best, correct? By experimenting with fermentation temps, I can determine if its more like a lager or ale strain (would I likely capture a lager strain when temps outside are cooler?) and its alcohol tolerance?

So... Once I have a culture going... I will need to learn the characteristics of the strain to use it best, correct? By experimenting with fermentation temps, I can determine if its more like a lager or ale strain (would I likely capture a lager strain when temps outside are cooler?) and its alcohol tolerance?

It is all a big WAG (wild *ss guess) You just have to try and see what happens. The night I collected mine was very cool, about high 40's low 50's. Definitely an ale yeast. Then you are just guessing what you have and how to treat it best. I was lucky and got a strain that seems to like it warm, and attenuates like a beast. Last batch went down to 1.002.

That is why I did a one gallon test batch to see the flavor profile and what it worked like.

loving this thread. Once I learn how to actually harvest and keep yeast I am going to do this.

Wow, this method seems way simpler than other threads I remember reading on this topic in the past.

But if it works... :ban:

I may have to give it a try at some point.

After the night outside, I brought it in and covered it with foil. It took a few days to really show activity. I let it go for about a week and. half before stepping it up.

What temperature did you keep the yeast at for the week and a half before stepping it up?

It is all a big WAG (wild *ss guess) You just have to try and see what happens. The night I collected mine was very cool, about high 40's low 50's. Definitely an ale yeast. Then you are just guessing what you have and how to treat it best. I was lucky and got a strain that seems to like it warm, and attenuates like a beast. Last batch went down to 1.002.

That is why I did a one gallon test batch to see the flavor profile and what it worked like.

Did you get any bacterial growth with it or just mainly the yeast growth?

Wow! Awesome idea! And it's very cool that your wild strain turned out so well for you.

I don't have any answers to your questions, but just as a side note, lager yeast and ale yeast are two different species of yeast, not strains. There are many different strains of both lager and ale yeasts. For example, Nottingham, US-05, and S-04 are all different strains of the same species of yeast (all ale yeasts). Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to help out with terminology, since sometimes little terminology mistakes can make a big difference in a discussion.

:mug:

Wow! Awesome idea! And it's very cool that your wild strain turned out so well for you.

I don't have any answers to your questions, but just as a side note, lager yeast and ale yeast are two different species of yeast, not strains. There are many different strains of both lager and ale yeasts. For example, Nottingham, US-05, and S-04 are all different strains of the same species of yeast (all ale yeasts). Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to help out with terminology, since sometimes little terminology mistakes can make a big difference in a discussion.

:mug:

Max, no worries and I appreciate you keeping me honest.. Im a big believer that the "devils in the details".. Im gonna try to capture some around apple trees and some around grape vines and see what I get.. Question though, are wine yeasts and champagne yeasts the same species? And are they a different species than ale yeasts?

Max, no worries and I appreciate you keeping me honest.. Im a big believer that the "devils in the details".. Im gonna try to capture some around apple trees and some around grape vines and see what I get.. Question though, are wine yeasts and champagne yeasts the same species? And are they a different species than ale yeasts?

Wine, champagne, ale, and bakers yeast are all the same species, Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

@beergolf

Cool thread. Very interesting to read about your process. I'm going to give this a try soon. Good tip on the cooler weather. Another month or so and it should be better here in TX.

I wonder what the cost of getting a species analysis of the yeast would be? Not that it matters of course. Just to satisy one's curiosity.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the method.

@beergolf

Cool thread. Very interesting to read about your process. I'm going to give this a try soon. Good tip on the cooler weather. Another month or so and it should be better here in TX.

I wonder what the cost of getting a species analysis of the yeast would be? Not that it matters of course. Just to satisy one's curiosity.

It would be interesting to get it tested to see what it is, but I am sure that it would be pretty expensive. MMMm. That just gave me an idea. Maybe I need to wander over to the Biology department ( I am a college professor) and see if someone there would be willing to look at it. Maybe trade some brew for an analysis.

I know that it works well, seems to be pretty clean. Ferments like crazy and has great flavor.

I have made 7 or 8 brews using it and they all have been very good. I just bottled a batch that I added some brett to and it tasted great going into the bottles. Should be carbed by next week. Maybe I will save some of the blend also to have a different version of my house yeast.

It would be interesting to get it tested to see what it is, but I am sure that it would be pretty expensive. MMMm. That just gave me an idea. Maybe I need to wander over to the Biology department ( I am a college professor) and see if someone there would be willing to look at it. Maybe trade some brew for an analysis.

I know that it works well, seems to be pretty clean. Ferments like crazy and has great flavor.

I have made 7 or 8 brews using it and they all have been very good. I just bottled a batch that I added some brett to and it tasted great going into the bottles. Should be carbed by next week. Maybe I will save some of the blend also to have a different version of my house yeast.

I read your thread months back and it helped inspire me to undergo a little experiment myself. I just left the funnels, beakers, and tubes with the autoclave technician this afternoon and will brew my media Tuesday and begin harvesting.

I like the idea of placing your vessels in close proximity to one another. I am only going to ferment 4 vessels (3 for samples to freeze and plate, 1 for tasting) and perhaps I will put them near to one another.

Any advice to offer you learned through the process?

@beergolf

I'd be curious to know what the pricing is for analysis too. A home way to attempt this is accessible with a laboratory microscope. I'm a novice but I'm learning. It's impossible for me to determine the difference between saccharomyces strains but, aside from a short list of exceptions, brettanomyces is distinguishable in size (much smaller).

Wine, champagne, ale, and bakers yeast are all the same species, Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Are lagering yeasts readily available in ambient harvesting? There seems to be some debate over it being a cross with sacch. c. and another yeast, or is a product of two other organisms altogether.

I'll be pulling samples from a separation funnel, I suppose I will be getting yeasts that have dropped from solution, including lager yeast which bottom-ferments.

Any advice to offer you learned through the process?

Not really. I just remeber reading before I tried it that cooler weather is better, because it reduces the chance of getting mold. I guess I just got pretty lucky by getting one of the three that turned out great.

I just think that if you wait until it is cooler, try it and see what you get. It basically costs nothing. Just a little DME to make some wort. I Did mine in the spring. I am thinking about trying the fall this time to see if I can get something different. It is starting to cool down at night here so I may try it again soon.

Not really. I just remeber reading before I tried it that cooler weather is better, because it reduces the chance of getting mold. I guess I just got pretty lucky by getting one of the three that turned out great.

I just think that if you wait until it is cooler, try it and see what you get. It basically costs nothing. Just a little DME to make some wort. I Did mine in the spring. I am thinking about trying the fall this time to see if I can get something different. It is starting to cool down at night here so I may try it again soon.

The brewers at Oxbow told me they use their coolship in the Fall when the weather is between 42F and 52F. This minimizes pollen. Happy harvesting, please share what comes of your next experiment.

I'm glad I found this thread.
I have a 'wild' yeast I captured last fall up here in Canada. I put my Masson jar under a plum tree as many on this thread suggest.

Long story short - it smells fantastic and tastes really nice. I've only been stepping it up ocationaly to keep it viable, then crashing again in the fridge.

I'd like to do a proper 5 gallon with it, but I've got 1 question. How long should I expect it to ferment out? I think the OP said only a few weeks for theirs. That's surprising because not knowing what exactly I have, (though it's not sour) is expect a year, as per many other threads on wild fermentation.

Only a few weeks? Can this be right?

Back