Single Tier Brew Stand Build Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
After much planning, designing and acquiring of parts, I have finally started the build phase of my brew stand. It will be a single tier stand with three burners and two pumps (direct fired RIMS MLT).

I thought I would start a new thread for my build so I can post photos of the progress. I plan to take lots of photos to help others who might be going through the same process and use this as sort of a tutorial / guide.

I started with the control panel first as this was something I could quickly knock out. I purchased the control panel and most of the switches on eBay. The two temperature controllers and the timer were also eBay purchases. The temp display for the boil was something I had laying around from another project.

I'll be wiring alarm contacts on the HLT controller to alarm when strike temp is reached, on the MLT to alarm if mash temperature deviates too much and on the boil display to alarm when boil is near (i.e. alarm at 200 degrees). I'll also be wiring an alarm contact on the timer so the alarm will sound for the next hop addition.

I removed the front door of the enclosure and covered it in masking tape so I could mark the layout of the switches and controllers.

ControlPanel1.JPG

I'm using 22mm switches so a 1/2" conduit punch (7/8" hole) works perfect for these switches.

ControlPanel2.JPG

I just had to drill pilot holes for each hole then run the punch through.

ControlPanel4.JPG

Everything mounted up and labelled:

ControlPanel8.JPG

I'm missing the label for the Boil Burner switch (screwed up and ordered a Hand / Off / Auto label for this burner but just need an On / Off label).

Thank you. I just started to pile up the parts for my own rig, I will follow yours closely. Control box looks great!

So, back when I started planning this build, I picked up a Harbor Freight flux core wire welder. It was on sale for about $90 when I got it.

One of these:

cheapwelder.jpg

Today I picked up the metal for my stand. This included 48 ft. of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" 14 ga square tube (mild steel) and some bar stock for the caster mounts, pump mounts and burner mounts. Also picked up some 16 ga aluminum diamond plate for pump shields. About all I have left to get is something for my wind shields. Got it all for less than $100!

After cutting a few of the pieces with a metal blade on my chop saw, I decided to cut off a few small scrap pieces and practice welding a bit.

I'll start by saying that I've never welded before in my life, but wanted to use this project as a way to learn. After playing around a bit, I can tell it's going to take a bit more planing before I get the hang of this and I'm ready to start actually welding the frame.

Here's a pic of my first weld, after some grinding with a flap wheel.

FirstWeld.JPG

She ain't pretty, but she's mine!! :mug: :ban:

One thing that helps with those harbor freight weldersis to ditch the stock wire and go buy some decent lincoln (or the like) wire from a weld supply house or HD...just make sure you get flux core mild steel "all position" wire. Welds will be much cleaner.

Reviving an old thread here, on your control box, what exactly do the alarms do? Do they sound a buzzer when it hits a certain temp or time? Also are you running those TA4 straight to the gas valves or are you going into a SSR then to the gas valve?

Latest posts

Back