Single Tier Stand Build for the Beer Robot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny330

Reaction score
I have been working on my stand for over a month on and off and it is almost complete. It is made from hickory wood to get SWMBO approval. The Beer Robot build will be documented in another thread. I started out with very minimal woodworking skills and I think this thing has turned out pretty well for the tools that I have and the tool that is using them.

The guts are simple 2x4's and 4x4 legs. The legs are those pressure treated ones because they were the only thing available. Who would have known that getting normal 4x4's would be a hard find.

Here are two pics from the top being built. The top is 62in x 20in wide using a combination of 4in and 6in wide hickory boards. The center boards are somewhat inlaid into the frame using a router to make them flush, while giving the center planks some support.

(My Border Collie Helper made it into this pic)

Next step was to cover all of the seen bits of the 2x4's with hickory as well. I had an unfortunate accident with a table saw years ago so I tend to not mess with table saws. That is why there are 6in boards covering the legs instead of 90 degree miter cuts and proper dimensions. It actually worked out in the end with the 6 incher though to cover all sides of the 4x4.

This is the finished stand before staining and polyurethane-ing. (Is that a word?) Yes, you can still see some of the green legs from this view, but I am hoping that with it being on the ground it will not be noticeable. If it is, it will just be one more trip to Menards.

First two coats of cherry wood stain on.

I must admit, I did not plan this project out as well as I should have. I think it took 7 trips to the hardware store to get this guy to where it is now, including one trip this morning to get a better polyurethane. I'll post more pics as the Beer Robot gets closer to completion or if anyone has any questions or concerns with the build. As I said, I have very little woodworking experience so any advice (other than tear it apart and do it over:p) will be greatly appreciated. This project has been an absolute marathon for me.

Back