How much propane per brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
I currently use the kitchen stove for brewing. It is ok but I am considering a propane burner for faster boils. I have heard that the amount of propane per brew is significant. So my question is "how often do you fill your 20 lb propane tank"?

thaks, Mike

I'm at my sixth weekend of 5g every weekend, and my tank is pretty light. I'm going to go swap her out in an hour to start another batch.

I do a combination of extract,partial and AG. I use a lot more with AG and partials. I try to maintain a medium rolling boil that nets me a loss of about 1 gal an hour.

Also, if you have Blue Rhino tanks in your area, you are not going to find them filled to 20#s. They are such a scam but the convenience is too good sometimes to pass up. My Lowes and Home Depot locations had to places signs on the exchangers because of all the complaints. If you can actually get that tank filled at a mom and pop place you'd get more distance.

I guess that depends on if you're doing extract and partial boils or all grain, heating strike and sparge water on top of a full boil. :) I usually get at least 4, 5 gallon all grain brews from a tank that I get filled at a local camper place. Not the exchange tanks that are light on gas.

"How much propane does Blue Rhino put in its tanks?

Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds."

5 - 6 * 5.25 gallon AG brews per tank. I boil for 75 minutes, but use the kitchen stove for heating the strike and sparge water.

-a.

I never have to fill my propane tank, I have an all electric system now. :D Prior to that I used Blue Rhino tanks for 5 gallon batches over a 99,000 btu burner. I averaged about 3 batches per tank, usually running out of gas somewhere in the middle of the fourth. :(

i usually get at least 7-8 batches per tank, using DME though, not all grain. i put the lid on halfway so i conserve a ton of propane that way since i turn the burner way down.

I think I need to get a proper flame. Is there any pictures or videos of this?

I know I need and wind shield but I am not getting any where near 4 to ag batches.

Good info on the blue rhino exchanges, I did not know that. I used to to exchange my grill tanks there until I found it was cheaper to have my local gas company fill them, I get a discount as I heat my house with propane as well.

I get 5-6 all grain sessions per tank, but I use the side burner on the gas grill to heat the strike and sparge water. And that is plumbed right into natural gas so I never run out there.

I do a 4 gallon boil and use about 2lbs per batch. Take the empty weight off the tank handle, measure the tank with a scale, and then do a brew and measure again. You'll have a good idea how many batches you can get.

I average between 5-6 5 gallon batches on 1 tank (std size) though I always start out at 160-170 degree and boiling is 212 degrees also keep in mind I do 7 gallon boils.

Back