Help with smell...H2S or rhino farts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itismeTravis

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: safale s-04
Yeast Starter: nutrient(dap)
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes): 1
Color: yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: taste ok a lil bland but no noticable problems

first post so Hello to all!

Made my first cider on the 8th with organic apple juice no preserves and one pound of corn sugar. OG was 1.060 fermented till the 15th and it was at 1.018 so I added P.M.(potassium metabisulphite) to stop the ferm. Also decided to cold crash it in the fridge to make sure the yeast stopped fermenting and die off so i can backsweeten/flavor later. Checked the gravity today(1.018) and it had the rotten egg smell but tastes ok. I didnt notice this smell when I added the P.M. so im a lil worried it might be H2S and I read that rhino farts are early in fermentation not later. Plan on racking/aerating it in the morning to help figure it out but any suggestions wouldbe appreciated! Thanks.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: safale s-04
Yeast Starter: nutrient(dap)
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes): 1
Color: yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: taste ok a lil bland but no noticable problems

first post so Hello to all!

Made my first cider on the 8th with organic apple juice no preserves and one pound of corn sugar. OG was 1.060 fermented till the 15th and it was at 1.018 so I added P.M.(potassium metabisulphite) to stop the ferm. Also decided to cold crash it in the fridge to make sure the yeast stopped fermenting and die off so i can backsweeten/flavor later. Checked the gravity today(1.018) and it had the rotten egg smell but tastes ok. I didnt notice this smell when I added the P.M. so im a lil worried it might be H2S and I read that rhino farts are early in fermentation not later. Plan on racking/aerating it in the morning to help figure it out but any suggestions wouldbe appreciated! Thanks.

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you that k-meta doesn't kill yeast, and it won't stop a fermentation. So, you probably stressed the heck of the active yeast and it'll produce H2S. The racking (don't aerate too much, just splash rack a bit) might help.

If you want to sweeten later, you'll either need to wait until fermentation stops and then add sorbate and sulfite, or pasteurize. If you add sweetening and let it come up to room temperature, you'll have bottle bombs.

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you that k-meta doesn't kill yeast, and it won't stop a fermentation. So, you probably stressed the heck of the active yeast and it'll produce H2S. The racking (don't aerate too much, just splash rack a bit) might help.

So on the potassium metabisulphite bottle it says it kills wild yeast? Is that different from normal yeast? And what should I use to stop fermentation next time? is there a chemical or do I have to cold crash or let it finish?

thanks for the help

Wine yeast are tolerant to metabisulphite and wild yeast usually isn't. Sorbate is usually used to stop wine yeast and metabisulphite for wild yeast and bacteria.

Cold crash and then use the campden and sorbate to prevent fermentation to restarting. That'd do it. :)

thanks for the help. I splash racked it today and it subsided a little but it still had a faint egg smell. Is there anything else I can add to help it or is time the best way? I heard about maybe addding copper but im hesitant to do so unless im sure its H2S.

You started fermenation on Jan 8th? I think you need to rein in the horses and let that cider rest a bit. It will degass through your airlock and mellow - i.e. no more rhino farts. I would give it 2-4weeks with an airlock on and I bet your stink will subside.

If you bottle when it smells like sulphur you will regret it.

You started fermenation on Jan 8th? I think you need to rein in the horses and let that cider rest a bit. It will degass through your airlock and mellow - i.e. no more rhino farts. I would give it 2-4weeks with an airlock on and I bet your stink will subside.

If you bottle when it smells like sulphur you will regret it.

thanks i think its my best and only option at this point. Im still new to the homebrew world so I have that sky is falling mentality when its not perfect lol
ima let it settle for a few weeks, if anything at least i learned what not to do next time!

Haha - no sweat :) I still do that, then say... deep breathes haha

I would change your approach for next time though. Perhaps, cold crash 2 days, rack off into bottling bucket sulphited at 30-50PPM and sorbate. Stir, rest 15 minutes stir and bottle. That is, if you are going for a still cider with residual sugar.

Remember if the cider SMELLS funky or has active fermenation, don't bottle or you may get off flavors sealed in.

I would change your approach for next time though. Perhaps, cold crash 2 days, rack off into bottling bucket sulphited at 30-50PPM and sorbate. Stir, rest 15 minutes stir and bottle. That is, if you are going for a still cider with residual sugar.

Remember if the cider SMELLS funky or has active fermenation, don't bottle or you may get off flavors sealed in.

when u say sulphited do you mean the Potassium Metabisulphites? and how do you determine PPM? I just did 1/4 tsp. for the 6 gal per the bottle. I was actually going to keg it after awhile I just got scared that it would be to dry if I let it finish to 8%. is the sulphite and sorbate just to stop ferm or is it benificial to add in any case?

1 camden tablet is about 30 PPM - so I would go with that for ease - your powder should have a strength on it. I forget what it is off hand. Camden tablets are just premeasured potassium meta.

if you cold crash to halt the yeast, your sulphites will help to suppress the yeast, the sorbate will help to stop them from reproducing. Neither are a silver bullet. That is why I think it is best to cold crash for 2 days, (yeast go dormant and fall out of suspension), then rack and at the least, sorbate (some people sulphite and sorbate). Then you can add your sugar and carb in your keg.

just to throw it in there...I think the Safale stinks. I have a batch going, started at 1.053, going to cold crash tonight at 1.012. Its frappin stinky. Not as nasty as some may have smelled, but way different than my london ale III wyeast last go round.

I hope that tossing it in the fridge for a few days with the airlock will help. Only thought is that cold temps allow for more gas saturation....that can't be good.

What about a wine whip?

Back