American IPA Four Peaks Hop Knot Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I have no problem making the judgement call now. It's completely utterly cloned. There's an ever so slight difference in the esters, hop knot being slightly more estery, but it might just be that mine is a pinch fresher, and the dry hop character is getting in the way.

This is hop knot. Color is identical, bitterness is identical (mine is maybe a pinch more bitter, like 2-5ibu), aroma is identical, I could go on and on.

I'll post some pics by the end of the week once the last bit of chill haze has dropped out of my beer. I'm also going to update the recipe in the first post.

Comparison picture. Anyone want to guess the real one?

This is only 4 days in the keg, so it'll continue to clear up. The beers just looked so close, i figured that I might as well take a pic now.

DSC_6194.jpg

The revised recipe just won 2nd Place BOS in a local competition here in AZ (yes, I'm bragging a little; I'm excited). Haven't seen the score yet though.

Needless to say, great beer. Thanks to Four Peaks, it's basically their recipe, lol

Nice! Congrats bud! Comparison pic looks pretty dead on too. I'm going to have to try out this recipe.

Thanks. If you like Hop Knot, I'd say definitely brew this. It looks like a lot of hops, but FP's uses 3.5#/bbl, so it's dead on. Just keep the ferment temp around 64-66 and you can't go wrong.

Got the scoresheets back today. Scored a 44. Judges said it was very citrusy, with a strong pine character. Subtle esters, with a clean malt profile.

I have a question on this recipe - I'm reasonably new to brewing (doing 1-gal all-grain batches) but am dying to try this recipe out and am willing to screw up until I get it right. We used to live in AZ and this was my absolute favorite beer from the time we lived there. I'm trying to use Beersmith to reduce the recipe to my batch size.

The recipe calls for a 60-minute boil, but the hops portion says to add magnum at 90 - I would have assumed that meant 90 minutes, but that doesn't make any sense to me since that would sort of mean to add those 30 minutes *before* the 60-minute boil starts? Could someone explain (and sorry for the newbie question)?

Jeff

Sorry, I switched the recipe to a 90 minute boil very early on. You can't edit that bold section at the top of a recipe page on HBT. That stays the same forever. So disregard that portion of the recipe, follow the info below it.

Sorry, I switched the recipe to a 90 minute boil very early on. You can't edit that bold section at the top of a recipe page on HBT. That stays the same forever. So disregard that portion of the recipe, follow the info below it.

Don't be sorry! I'm incredibly thankful for the chance to brew this beer thanks to your recipe. :)

Jeff

So I really want to try to get this recipe 'right'. It's very close in it's current state, but needs a little tweaking. To do this, I started thinking like a professional brewer, and starting thinking about ingredients at their scale.

Four Peaks brews on a 20bbl brewhouse with 40 and 60bbl fermenters. So every beer is at least brewed twice, sometimes three times for one ferment. Pro brewers have to buy specialty grain in 50lb sacks, and hops in 11 or 44lb bags.

I'm assuming Hop Knot is done in 40bbl fermenters. Knowing the tendency of most professional brewers, all open sacks will be used between those two batches. For example, if they're using Glacier hops, we need to count on at least 11lbs between two batches.

So here's what I came up with:
300lbs of Pale Ale malt (6 sacks)
75lbs C20 (1.5 sacks, the other half sack for the second batch)

5.5lb Magnum @ 90
5.5lb Liberty @ 30
5.5lb Glacier @ 30
5.5lb Cascade in the Whirlpool
5.5lb Simcoe in the Whirlpool
11lb Simcoe Leaf hops in the Hop Back
11lb Cascade Leaf hops in the Hop Back

Dry Hops
11lb Simcoe
11lb Cascade

The IBUs calc out correctly, it's exactly 3.5lbs/bbl of hops, and between the two batches, all hops are in 11lb quantities. I think that's pretty damn close to what Four Peaks brews. So let's scale it down.

10lbs 2-row
3lbs Pale Ale (3.5L)
12oz Crystal 20L

24g Magnum @ 90
24g Liberty @ 30
24g Glacier @ 30
24g Simcoe @ 5
24g Cascade @ 5
48g Simcoe @ 0
48g Cascade @ 0
Dry Hop: 48g each of Simcoe and Cascade
For those that are metric challenged, 24g = 0.86oz, and 48g is 1.75oz.

The recipe looks pretty similar to the one I originally posted. A little less Crystal, a little less bittering, and much more hops in the finish.

Obviously, if you have a hop back, use it. The 5 minute addition is meant to mimic a whirlpool, and the 0min to mimic the hop back. My plan is to add the whirlpool hops at flameout, whirlpool my wort for 15min, the add the hopback hops right before I kick on the chiller.

I'm going to be brewing the revised recipe in a couple months. I'll report back how it turns out.

Some feedback on this recipe, it is dead on. Thank you for posting and figuring it out drinking this version right now and enjoying one of my favorite IPA's!

Some feedback on this recipe, it is dead on. Thank you for posting and figuring it out drinking this version right now and enjoying one of my favorite IPA's!

That puts a smile on my face! I'm glad you've got some Hop Knot in your glass.

I'll be honest, I've brewed a ton of commerical clones, and it's one of, if not my favorite recipe. I'm stoked it worked out for you.

Been meaning to post a picture and here it is! The flavor is unmistakably Hop Knot.

Sorry the back lighting is not the same as the other pics.. its cold here in New England unlike AZ.

photo3.jpg

Scottland,

I'm curious why you ferment below the "optimum fermentation temperature" for WLP007. You say you start the fermentation at 63º, but the "optimum" temperature range for WLP007 is 65-70º according to the White Labs website. You seem to do that for a number of your other recipes as well. I understand that slowly raising the temperature throughout fermentation should increase attenuation, but why not start at 65º and raise up through to 70º? Is it to limit esters from an English?

Also, purely out of curiosity, what do you use for a fermentation chamber?

I used an old mini fridge that fit a fermenter bucket. That died this summer, so after moving, I'm now using a full sized fridge in the garage.

As for fermenting cool. Four Peaks ferments hop knot at 63, so I followed suit. It ferments well at that temp

Not yet. I'd like to at some point though. I know it uses around 7.5lbs/bbl of hops, which is a LOT. (22-24oz in 5gal.)

It's not crazy bitter, nor crazy dry. I'd guess it finishes around 1.014-1.015 or so. Probably a pretty similar grain bill, less C20 by percentage though.

Agreed. The vast majority of those additional hops have to be coming at the end of / post-boil. There's such a smooth bitterness I almost wondered if they'd started using hop extracts for that part.

Using your theory above, I might throw in the rest of that second sack of C20 and then go the rest of the way on base malt. There's a sweetness/fullness that feels like they didn't just bump the ABV with 2-row.

Just doubling the 30-minute additions might be enough of an IBU bump, without touching the 90-minute charge. I can't quite make the other numbers work into their ratio, but doubling all the late additions and then doubling/tripling the dry hop gets close.

Which is all fun and games until I realize I'm talking about a pound and a half of expensive and somewhat hard to find hops.

Scott, do you happen to have any notes on the AA of the hops you used?
Running your recipe in Brewersfriend puts the IBU's fairly high.

Thanks....

Jimmy, I'm pretty sure my Simcoe was around 11-13 and my Cascade was about 5%.

I wouldn't stress over the IBU calculation, it turns out correct.

Thanks for all the work to design this recipe. I live in Colorado and can't get Hop Knot unless my father in law brings some when he visits. I want to make some Hop Knot for his visit during Christmas, so I found your recipe here. I'm still pretty new, and not doing all grain yet, just extract / partial extract. I'm also new to Beer Smith, but figured I'd cut my teeth on it with trying to convert this to an extract recipe.

It's told me I'll use 10lb 15oz of Pale Liquid Extract in place of the grains, still keeping the 90min boil and all the rest of your steps for a 6gal boil volume. Though the IBUs are off in there, lower than what you have here. Probably some setting I'm missing. Hopefully my attempt at this, and as an extract, is at least close.

Thanks!

Okay, I learned a bit more about BeerSmith and tried again entering your All Grain recipe and then converted it to an estimate of my basic equipment. This is what it gave me for the extract conversion...

Hop Knot Extract
American IPA
Type: Extract
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.81 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Volume 5.93 gal
Final Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients

• 9 lbs 15.1 oz Pale Liquid Extract
  • 0.59 oz Magnum - Boil 90.0 min