Pickled eggs--recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
1585l.jpg

LOL...I just googled that place. It is in Milwaukee, WI. :rockin: :rockin:

GAWD I love Wisconsin!!!

BTW, I placed an order. Smoked, pickled, polish sausages? Are you kidding me? I am SO there.

Chairman Cheyco said:
They are really simple and yummy. sometimes I put crushed pepper flakes in them to give them a bit of a kick.

I had 5 left from the last batch that needed more kick, so I added some salt and red pepper flakes to the "brine". We'll let those babies marinate for a few days.... :)

Just got done making anothe rbatch of 18. OH YEAH!!! :ban:

Tried my first one last night. It was OK. Had another tonight. Even better....stronger! When do they reach their peak?

How the heck is it that out of all the good recipes posted in this section, nothing has received more attention than pickled eggs?! I HATE EGGS!

Chairman Cheyco said:
That's gross! I can only imagine what happens when you pickle a cucumber... Disgusting...
You need to use a carboy to pickle fully grown ones....

Dude said:
So I've got this coming next week....we'll see how cheyco's eggs stack up to the best in all the land....or is it the other way around????

1949l.jpg

http://www.wisconsinmade.com/wiscmade/product.asp?dept%5Fid=20&pf%5Fid=1949

This arrived today....guess what I'll be eating during the chat later... :D

Definitely going to "compare" the eggs. Mine are just about perfect right now. My military buddy that was here the past 2 days (he is originally from WI) never had a pickled egg until last night. Cheyco's recipe gained another fan. :rockin:

Cheyco's eggs in a landslide. The store-bought ones are really intense vinegar and kind of rubbery. Reminded me of typical ones you'd find in a wisconsin bar.

Now the sausages...OH YEAH. Those are great.

Dude said:
Cheyco's eggs in a landslide. The store-bought ones are really intense vinegar and kind of rubbery. Reminded me of typical ones you'd find in a wisconsin bar.

Now the sausages...OH YEAH. Those are great.

Sweet! I've never done a side-by-side!

:rockin:

I was wondering about the pork hocks -- any good? I never had them, but vow I will try them.
One great item I had recently in the pickle department -- kosher dill pickled cauliflower -- Yummy, they are good to me!

My wife's aunt pickles everything. Pickled garlic I can't stop eating, the pickled green beans were great as well. Pickled mushrooms had a horrible texture and didn't taste great either.

havent chimed in in a while.

Go to Costco and get a jar of jalapenos the sliced ones remove over half of the chillies (squeese the juice from the ones you remove into the jar)and add hard boiled eggs I also add baby carrots , califlower, green beans with some fresh garlic pealed of course about two to three weeks or longer if you like and you have spicy pickled eggs these are a smash at my bar
JJ

SWMBO and I had an argument last night.

tonight, I'm going to make some pickled eggs. Next weekend, I'm going to eat them and wash them down with a BIG glass of 3 week old CCA wort. We're going to be with her family all weekend, so let them enjoy car rides with me.

Dude said:
Cheyco...I'm curious...why boil the water/vinegar/spices? To dissolve the salt or does it have some kind of other culinary secret going on there?

because we're brewers and we feel the need to boil!!!! ;)
cheers this looks tasty I think I'm gonna call the wife and have her grab some spices.

:mug:

olllllo said:
I have a bag of pickled mangos on my desk that a co-worker dared me to eat, but they refuse to bear witness to it, so it just stares at me all day.

Actually, they are quite good. But not eaten alone. They are common in Indian food, mixed with a rice dish.

Man, all this pickling. I've got a great recipe for pickled chipotles (that will set you on fire) and one for pickled red onions (not spicy, but great with meat). I'll try to remember to post them when I get back home.

desiderata said:
Actually, they are quite good. But not eaten alone. They are common in Indian food, mixed with a rice dish.

I have no problem with most food.
I'm holding out because it appears that eating them will freak out my co-worker.

Eating them with rice actually sounds good right now.

for those that need to go "all grain" with their pickles ( I think I might) this is what my bottle of pickling spices list for ingredients:

cinnamon
allspice
mustard seed
coriander
bay leaves
ginger
cloves
chillies
black pepper
mace
cardamom
and sulfiting agents*

* Not sure what this is. any ideas?

Bumped from the dead.

I was reading the pickle thread and saw the mention of this thread and went looking. Got hungry and inspired so I went home and boiled up 18 eggs. I mixed 2 cups of white vinegar, 2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of salt, two teaspoons of sugar, a handful of peppercorns and a handful of red pepper flakes. Then I peeled a whole head of garlic and tosssed them in with the rest. It's been 3 days and I'm getting very impatient. Hope they are ready this weekend cause I'm diving in.

PTN

Back