Bottled my APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
So finally bottled my much anticipated APA. After 41 days in the primary, beer was a great light color, rich malty flavor and a distinct hop taste. My second recipe I have put together, I was very impressed it tasted so good flat and warm. This was a split 20 gallon extract batch I made with a good friend. So bottling 20 gallons took quite some time :)

Slightly disapointed I did not dry hop as I had planned, even had the hops but didnt bother after my last batch caught and infections and ive been forced to drink commercial beer. So in 10 or so days ill crack the first one.

cheers

Ya it was the first time ive ever had that happen. Beer was great 20 days in primary, transfer to secondary and nasty space funk .

I've has similar things happen to mine. I decided the safest place for beer is in the bottle or keg. If it's at FG and tastes good BOTTLE IT! Forget the 3-4 week primary crap.

Well my problem came when I transfered into Secondary, likely the siphone hose was durty.

I find that if things start off fine in primary they stay fine. I dont open things up for hydrometer readings unless I visably can see an issue or its a HG beer or temps are low lol. I dont have these probs :)

Anyways I cant wait for it to carb. Ill prob brew a stout this weekend, next project.

You gotta dry hop an APA..... nothing will replace the aroma it'll contribute. The hops won't infect the beer, but your secondary vessel / hoses / siphon / etc. could. If you're that worried about it, you probably could have gotten away with dry hopping in primary (since it was there for an extended period anyways).

I know I planned on doing so, had the hops ready but the brew was sitting in my friends place which is under renovation, completly filthy and he has been so busy the last few weeks didnt get a chance to get there on time or buy a hop sock.

Next time tho! :)

Still smelt great in the bottling bucket, no green or fruity smell.

awesome dude. I've been meaning to brew an APA but other ideas just keep getting in the way. I need another carboy.

Back