Height of your false bottom from the bottom of the cooler...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I've got a few 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers that are going to become mash tuns. The false bottom that I am looking at can come with a stand that raises the false bottom 1.5 inches off the floor of the cooler. If I raise it to 2 inches I will be just over my ball valve, where I can add a dip tube to collect the wort off the floor of the cooler.

So my question is, is a false bottom 2 inches off the floor of a 10 gallon cooler the end of the world?

Thanks.

I've got a few 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers that are going to become mash tuns. The false bottom that I am looking at can come with a stand that raises the false bottom 1.5 inches off the floor of the cooler. If I raise it to 2 inches I will be just over my ball valve, where I can add a dip tube to collect the wort off the floor of the cooler.

So my question is, is a false bottom 2 inches off the floor of a 10 gallon cooler the end of the world?

Thanks.

I use a Rubbermaid 10 gal.MLT when doing 5 gal. batches,but my dip tub is above the false bottom leaving very little deadspace. Since the Rubbermaid only looses about 1*F/h after preheating, I should think a 2in. deadspace would not make much difference except for the enzymes trapped in the deadspace. Modern malts have an abundance of gluconace enzymes, so you should ok, IMHO........

i brewed my first 10g batch in my rubbermaid keggle affair this weekend. Also the first time with a home made FB. It is on stilts so it is above the drain, I have a dip tube (vinyl with a brass T for weight) so little dead space (unless I misuse the term). All was well except that I had a ton of grit and endosperm passing by the FB and clogging up my ball valve. I will be re-installing a short 2" loop of screen on my dip tube.

As for the water under the FB during mash, I am no expert and no help with science, but the mash acted as though it was much thicker than it was. I did manually recirculate the water under the FB severaltimes though. Seemed like the least I could do.

All was well, hit my 70% eff. Wicked looking Septemberfest Ale.

i brewed my first 10g batch in my rubbermaid keggle affair this weekend. Also the first time with a home made FB. It is on stilts so it is above the drain, I have a dip tube (vinyl with a brass T for weight) so little dead space (unless I misuse the term). All was well except that I had a ton of grit and endosperm passing by the FB and clogging up my ball valve. I will be re-installing a short 2" loop of screen on my dip tube.

As for the water under the FB during mash, I am no expert and no help with science, but the mash acted as though it was much thicker than it was. I did manually recirculate the water under the FB severaltimes though. Seemed like the least I could do.

All was well, hit my 70% eff. Wicked looking Septemberfest Ale.

Hmmm. Good points.

Latest posts

Back