First try GF, couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
SWMBO just made the move to a gluten free diet and I just bought some Sorghum extract (Briess) to make her an IPA. Now the questions:

1. What type of flavor does Sorghum produce relative to barley malt? Is it sweeter, finish drier, what should I expect? (this should help me determine the hop schedule)(just read ingredient list again, so nevermind)

2. How much unfermentable sugars, if any, are in Sorghum extract? Close to that of LT DME?

3. How do hop characteristics come through in regards to bitterness and flavors? Would you dial back normal malt hop addtions or hop as normal to reach targeted IBUs?

I've read through a bunch of the threads but hadn't quite found clear answers to these questions. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Cheers.

I find sorghum has a sweeter finish and more unfermentables. Got around both by added some dextrose. Used 30%, but next time I'll probably cut that to 20%. Didn't notice any difference in the bittering or hop flavor.

I've had the experience that Sorghum has the same amount of fermentables as Light Malt Extract, I have not had to adjust my recipes for the ending gravity.

Sorghum tastes like lemony bitterness, so make sure to expect that in the final recipe.

Hops come through about the same, but I might add a few to cover the lemony flavor of sorghum.

For the record, no one we have come across on here likes the taste of Sorghum. Depending on your brewing experience level, there may be some better answers for you around this forum.

If you have to use sorghum I would make a wit as they tend to have a "citrus" like flavor and it is easy to cover the sorghum flavor and make a smoother beer. IMO that is

I found that the Sorghum fermented out about the same as the others I have done, It was my first GF beer for the wife. I used malted buckwheat that I roasted and crushed. It made the beer pretty cloudy so I won't be doing that particular recipe again. I actually liked the beer, I am not a GF kind of guy and I wouldn't have known it was GF if I hadn't made it myself.

Latest posts

Back