Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacax

Reaction score
Comment on my strong old ale recipe if you will. It's like a bowl of oatmeal, get it?

Mash @ 156ish

16 lbs. Pale Ale Malt
1.5 lbs. Toasted Oats
1 lb. Carastan
1 lb. Crystal 60
12 oz. Red Wheat
(8 oz. Rice hulls)
4 oz. Special B

Kettle Additions
2 oz. Nugget 60 minute
8 oz. Piloncillo (Panela)
8 oz. Dark Molasses (prefer Black Treacle but store out)

Secondary
1 lb. Maple Syrup Grade B
2 oz. Oak Cubes, Medium+ toast, soaked in Bourbon

Pitched onto a Nottingham yeast cake. Ferment at 65ish.

OG 1.106 (not including syrup in secondary)
FG 1.028
ABV 11.2% (including syrup)
SRM 19*
IBU 60.2
BU:GU 0.54

:fro:

It looks good, though my only worry is the maple syrup. I am not saying anything against it since I have never tried it.

I am just wondering on your rationale on using the syrup in secondary vs end of boil? I would fear a) it wouldn't go into solution, b) it would kick up fermentation again and c) just make sure you pasteurize very well.

Otherwise, it looks cool to me. I am interested on your answer.

Most sources I have read indicate that adding syrup after primary fermentation is over will leave the most maple flavor in the end product. Maple syrup is maple sap boiled down so technically it should already be pasteurized.

That said, I am planning some changes to the recipe based on feedback I received elsewhere. It was pointed out, and I largely agree, that adding maple to a big beer is somewhat of a futile effort to extract maple flavor. I am instead going to substitute a bit of ground fenugreek for my maple flavored dreams.

On another note I am also dropping the crystal malt bill in half from around 12% to 6% of the grist. The thinking here is that the FG is already going to be quite high. I am also swapping out the treacle/molasses for organic dark brown sugar.

Back