Do higher alcohol beers take longer to force carb??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
I was force carbing 2 beers at once, never had a problem before. Except this time it was 2 different types of beer, rye pale ale and dubbel. The dubbel is quite stronger than the ryepa. They both have the exact same level in the kegs. When i tapped both kegs, the rye had quite a bit more carbonation than the dubbel. The dubbel should be on the higher end of carbonation. I can't figure out why the dubbel is less carbonated than the rye. Could the higher alcohol have something to do with it?

what was the final gravity of each?

a 'thicker' final gravity might resist carbing more, and might taste less carb'd at teh same CO2 volume as another beer that's several points lower on its FG.

My process for force carbing is at 34 degrees 30psi for 24 hours. Higher carb and warm beer, or cooling beer will take longer, 28-32 hours.

My FG of they rye pale ale was 1.011 and the Dubbel was 1.010 and it was the dubbel that has less carbonation.

My process for force carbing is at 34 degrees 30psi for 24 hours. Higher carb and warm beer, or cooling beer will take longer, 28-32 hours.

My FG of they rye pale ale was 1.011 and the Dubbel was 1.010 and it was the dubbel that has less carbonation.

I'd say you're getting slightly antsy. Turn them down to the PSI recommended for the proper CO2 volumes and leave them alone for a week or two. Problem solved :D

my keg does have a small leak, now i need to figure out where. o ring, stem loose, relief valve loose. hmm...

I may be a little antsy. I guess it's something that I learned first, and have stuck with.

my keg does have a small leak, now i need to figure out where. o ring, stem loose, relief valve loose. hmm...

Get a spray bottle (if you don't have one, get a cheap-o at Home Depot for $0.69) and fill it with a relatively dilute dish soap solution. Then connect your keg to gas, turn it on and then spray all over where there could be a leak. If you see bubbles, you got yourself a leak.

Easy solutions if you've got a leak:
- You're not using keg lube (use it!!)
- Get new O-rings
- Keg might be bent somewhere, so either knock it back into place or get a new one

Good luck!

Back