keezer w/ extended collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
I'm in the planning phases for my keezer. I'm going to use a 9.0 cubic foot freezer from Lowes (or similar) and will have 4 taps to start with. I'm planning to build a collar to allow for additional storage on the hump, but also plan to encase the entire thing in thin wood paneling and build a bartop w/ two 2-tap towers. My plan is to 'extend' the collar an additional 12 inches past the edge of the freezer (on the side with the compressor exhaust vent) and also do the same with the stand that it's on. So there will only be 2 sides that are in contact with the casing, the third side will have ~10 inches of air space and the back will be uncovered as well. That will allow me to store the CO2 outside the keezer but still have it out of site. Gas lines will run through a hole drilled in the collar.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any reason not to do it this way? I assume the ~12 inch space will be plenty to allow for sufficient cooling for the comp? Here are a few basic sketches of what I have in mind:
top1.jpg

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

Put a vent and fan on the compressor side. 12" of dead air space will not provide sufficient cooling.

Thanks Yuri. I'll keep that in mind. The fan would only need to run when the comp is running, correct?

Back