Sediment in bottom of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archroy

Reaction score
Hey, long time troller first time poster here with a quick question. I just brewed Edwort's Bavarian Hef today and things turned out ok but my hop bags weren't closed tight or I didn't vorlauf well enough well or something and I ended up with lots of sediment in the bottom of my fermenter when I pitched my yeast. Will fermenting on this affect the beer? If so should I maybe rack it to a secondary?

Thanks,
-Archroy

Sediment at the bottom of your primary is standard. If you had some grains in there, you may not have vourlaufed enough, but that shouldn't affect your final beer. You may want to rack to a secondary just to make sure that none of that sediment gets to your bottles. Other than that, you should be just fine.

Ok thanks, this was only my second all grain beer and the first was an irish stout with pellet hops so I must just not have noticed the sediment when I pitched.

-Archroy

Back