Mozzarella Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I just tried to make a batch of mozz, I had fairly good curd formation and everything seemed to be going well. Then I heated up a water bath to about 180 degrees F and put my curd in after draining the whey. While folding the curd in the water it fell apart and dissolved away. What could have caused this? I had a small part that was usable, but that was only 6 oz from a gallon of milk.

Any idea what would have caused the curd to break?

I was following cheesemaking.com directions, I was on step three of separating the whey where it says "we have a stretch."

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/123.html

Try folding the curd while not in the water bath. Use the microwave to heat the curd as needed, about 30-40 seconds at at time. I don't use a water bath at all and it comes out fine.

Try folding the curd while not in the water bath. Use the microwave to heat the curd as needed, about 30-40 seconds at at time. I don't use a water bath at all and it comes out fine.

I was using the stove top method, not a microwave method so a water bath is required to heat the curd to forming temperatures.

I don't think that was the problem. I read somewhere (but I'm not sure where) that the curds won't "spin" if the ph isn't low enough. Maybe the citric acid didn't get the milk acidic enough? I'll see if I can find that link on how to check for a good spin before trying to stretch the curds.

Edit- here's a link. It's not the exact one I was thinking of, but the checking for a good spin is about 1/2 way down.

Doesn't look like the link made it on the post.

Maybe a little extra citric acid could do the trick. I contacted cheesemaking.com to find out what they think as well.

Just talked to Cheesemaking.com (where I got the kit from) and they said the recipe booklet I got with my kit is outdated and they have made some changes to the version of the recipe I followed (I found the online version for this post). They are sending me a new booklet and refunded my milk money out of the blue!

Talking about great customer service. I just called to find out what I did wrong...

BTW Yooper, still can't see the link if you would add it I would be very grateful.

MOZZARELLA_DC8

Try that, and see if it's ok!

I wonder, then, if I also had an "older" booklet. As I said, I've had some batches that just did NOT work out. The ones that did work out were wonderful, but there were a few that did not.

Success! I messed up making the ricotta. For some reason I decided the curd would form right away rather than letting it cool then draining. Oops, next time should go better.

mozz011.jpg

oooooh, that's gorgeous! I made three kinds of cheese yesterday, and brewed a beer, but didn't do mozzarella. I need to do that again- that looks awesome!

oooooh, that's gorgeous! I made three kinds of cheese yesterday, and brewed a beer, but didn't do mozzarella. I need to do that again- that looks awesome!

Working my way to other cheeses. Oh, I did get to brew yesterday too.

On another note, I can't wait until I have time/equipment to make brie - my favorite cheese and often ruined in the states. In France I had a brie with a center of black truffles. The best cheese I have ever had and at $80 a pound it better be! When I finally have the process down I am so making some of it :ban:.

A picture, the brie and some saucisson sec which I also plan on making and serving together!

Europe562.jpg

Europe565.jpg

Latest posts

Back