Water type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
My water at home is very hard. Roughly 23-24 hardness. The taste and smell is fine, it just leaves any and everything spotted and white. The only analysis I've gotten so far from the town is just the breakdown of EPA and health department requirements(lead, radioactive mumbo jumbo, etc. etc.). With this little bit of info, what brews are best suited to this water and what styles of brew should I avoid. I'm not quite ready to start doctoring the water as I'm quite the noob.

Call you local water supplier and ask for a full report. We get mailed a similar report wach year which is worthless for brewing. I called and they were happy to send me the full report. I have hard water. Generally good for porters, stouts. I've had great luck with Oktoberfests. Water really high in carbonates can lead to a harsher bitterness. I've smoothed my hoppy beers out by treating my water with pickling lime to drop a lot of the carbonates out.

Latest posts

Back