hopbursting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I am planning to make my first hopbursted IPA today.

I am going to use maybe 1/2 oz of magnum and FWH it.

otherwise i'm going to use about 6-7 oz of citra, FF, cascde and sorachi ace in the last 20 mins and get my IBU and massive hop flavor that way.

Is there anything I need to look out for? any critical mistakes I might make or things i should make sure to do?

Make sure you do a big flameout/whirlpool addition!

This...granted, I've made amazing DIPAs without it and just bombed it from 20 down to a flameout. But I am using about 75% of my hops post-boil with anything I want to be hoppy. And a nice big dry hop!

A common mistake I often see on here: going to slowly. If you brewing practices are dialed in, your beer should close in on FG in a few days to a week at most...I personally begin my dry hop 3 days after high krausen. Get that beer grain-to-glass as soon as possible

Almost everything I've done lately has been a warrior or other high AA addition at 60 to get the IBU, then all the rest in the last few minutes or at flameout.

I did the following

.5oz Magnum FWH
1oz Citra 20 min
1oz Citra 15 min
1oz Sorachi Ace Flameout
1oz Cascade Flameout
1oz Citra Flameout
1oz Mosaic Flameout

I'm also planning to dry-hop with 2 oz of Citra. Should be a monster. The prefermentation sample was awesome!!

Its hard to get an exact read on the IBU because I added the majority of the DME at 10 min, but I calculate it being between 60-70. For a 7% IPA that's about right.

Looks pretty good to me! Next time I'd suggest dropping to 170F after flameout and then adding the last hops. The lower temperature preserves even more of those flavorful oils.

Looks pretty good to me! Next time I'd suggest dropping to 170F after flameout and then adding the last hops. The lower temperature preserves even more of those flavorful oils.

Interesting. I might try that next time. Did you read about this in an article/book, or was it something that you just tried one time and worked?

This is similar to my "Hopbursting" technique. I run my chiller until I hit 180*F, stop the chiller and add my hops. Let the temperature free fall to 150*F then restart the chiller. I usually end up with an oil slick on top of the wort. This has taken the aroma in my beers to a new level.

This is similar to my "Hopbursting" technique. I run my chiller until I hit 180*F, stop the chiller and add my hops. Let the temperature free fall to 150*F then restart the chiller. I usually end up with an oil slick on top of the wort. This has taken the aroma in my beers to a new level.

This. Also: more dry hops! For 5 gallons of IPA, I'm using 3-5 oz of dry hops.

This. Also: more dry hops! For 5 gallons of IPA, I'm using 3-5 oz of dry hops.

For how long and at what point in the fermentation cycle do you recommend dry-hopping?

I have heard most people let it go for 2 weeks and then dry hop for a week. However, I have read several sources lately say that you should only dry hop for 3 days as that will provide the most flavor.

Also, on your first point, do you use normal flameout hops as well, or just replace them entirely with the the 180F method? In addition, I see how your method would really make the aromas pop, but does it provide the same amount of flavor as normal flameout hopping?

Sorry Mblanks, the second question from the last post was directed towards you.

I personally use late-boil hops, flameout hops, and dry hops. Each impacts the final flavor and aroma differently and helps build a strong hop "punch." I usually dry hop 3-5 days before packaging, sometimes a week. As soon as I hit a stable FG, I add the dry hops.

Sorry Mblanks, the second question from the last post was directed towards you.

I dry hop for 7 days only because that's what works best with my schedule and I've never had any issues with vegetal flavors. All my flame out hops are used with the 180* technique. I've had very good luck with this and the flavor and aroma profile, IMO are better in my house IPA than they were when I did flameout or 5 minute additions. I also use FWH for bittering.

FWIW, John Kimmich (the alchemist) said in a Q&A last month to dry hop minimum 4 days, maximum 5 days

FWIW, John Kimmich (the alchemist) said in a Q&A last month to dry hop minimum 4 days, maximum 5 days

Wow, that's a tight window. I would think it would vary somewhat based on the type of hop and the gravity of the beer, but who am I to question John Kimmich.

I've noticed great improvement in my IPAs after getting water chemistry under control and changing my hopping techniques. I used to add hops 60,30,20,15,10,5 minute additions, now I FWH for 15-20% of my total ibus and then hammer it with hops from 10 minutes down to zero, often with a half hour hop stand @160 degrees. I've also used 3-4 day dry hopping instead of 1-2 weeks with much success at warmer(70 degrees) temps.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back