First batch on its way!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmBeer

Reaction score
So I started learning about kombucha and totally wanted to start making some, luckily my sister's roomy makes it and just gave me a scoby. So I started with what seems to be a more popular recipe, Black & Green tea.

I first started with eating all the pickles in an 80 oz jar of pickles to obtain a glass jar large enough for my first batch of kombucha. My wife was smart enough to register for a large glass jug with a spout on it and this will be the main one once I have a recipe I am happy with.

So I steeped 3 bags of green and 3 bags of black tea in ~80 oz of water for 15-20min and dissolved ~3/4 cup of sugar prior to adding the tea bags.

It is now sitting on top of our fridge since it is consistently warm from it running.

Can't wait to try it, I probably will go the mixing with juice for the first few batches atleast!

So I started learning about kombucha and totally wanted to start making some, luckily my sister's roomy makes it and just gave me a scoby. So I started with what seems to be a more popular recipe, Black & Green tea.

I first started with eating all the pickles in an 80 oz jar of pickles to obtain a glass jar large enough for my first batch of kombucha. My wife was smart enough to register for a large glass jug with a spout on it and this will be the main one once I have a recipe I am happy with.

So I steeped 3 bags of green and 3 bags of black tea in ~80 oz of water for 15-20min and dissolved ~3/4 cup of sugar prior to adding the tea bags.

It is now sitting on top of our fridge since it is consistently warm from it running.

Can't wait to try it, I probably will go the mixing with juice for the first few batches atleast!

I usually dissolve the sugar after pulling out the tea bags so i can drop the dried used tea leaves over the soil of a house plant :) good luck

That's a good idea, I did start a compost pile late last year and so end up throwing them in there which is the same idea. Why do you wait on adding the sugar? Is it so you don't attract ants with the sugar?

I just add the sugar after pulling out the tea bags so not to leave any sugar in the drying bags. It's just a preference. I also don't like squeezing the used tea bags over the sink and being left with sticky fingers :)

I've heard some people toss in the sugar while the water is boiling, or just after the boil, or after pulling out the bags. I've never had any problems putting the sugar in after taking the bags out.

Kombucha 1.jpg

Here is my continuous batch of kombucha made with green and black organic teas and raw sugar. Received a baby scoby from a friend and it took a couple weeks to grow to cover the top but now it is full gear.

I typically just take about 4 ounces as a drink straight and I am a fan of vinegar but it still isn't the best. Any recommendations of juice to mix with? I have tried orange, cranberry, and lemonade only because this is what we have around. Is a tropical fruit punch better?

Love the new picture. That's a glass jar with a stainless steel spigot, right? If so you shouldn't have to worry much about contamination or leaching plastics. Good deal.

I'd wager that you're trying to cut your brew with more sugary juice because you're not getting enough fizz during the primary ferment. I don't brew with the continuous method because I really like the way the carbonation builds up during the secondary fermentation, plus I don't want to accustom myself to drinking that much sugar.

I do my primary ferment for seven to nine days, then a secondary ferment for usually about two days. Since most of the sugar has been eaten up during primary, I add 2oz to 3oz of an organic clear fruit juice and about a teaspoon of dry ginger per quart (or liter) before starting the secondary. The quart/liter bottles have a flip-top stopper, and I usually "burp" them every 12-24 hours during secondary just to see how it's coming along. After secondary ferment I pour the bigger bottles into 12oz screw-top bottles and because some carbonation is lost in that process, I will often let those sit out for another 12 hours before refrigerating.

I like to think that most of the sugar in the fruit juice has been consumed as it turns to carbonation, but it's difficult to know what the remaining concentration really is. My juice choice tend to be pomegranate, cranberry, or a generic organic "berry" mixture. But honestly I bet just adding a teaspoon or two of straight refined white sugar would taste the same - fizz & ginger dominates in my final beverage. The combination of a strong fizzy effervescence and that gingery snap is what I love in my Kombucha.

If you don't want to go thru that much trouble, try making up a "mocktail" (non-alcoholic cocktail) like I often do...

• 6 oz Kombucha Tea (KT)
  • Ice
  • 2-3 leaves Fresh spearmint
  • 1 Tablespoon Frozen berry mix (blue, rasp, black)
  • 1 very thin slice lemon
  • 1 very thin slice lime

Grab your glass. Muddle up the mint leaves with a mortar & pestle, then add to glass (or just muddle in the glass with a wooden spoon). Chop and crush down the berries, add 'em in. Squeeze the lemon & lime into the glass, toss the peel in too. Throw in the ice, pour in the KT, stir. Drink up!

congratulations on such a great set-up!

I just bought some kombucha and water keffir grains to try, and I'm motivated to do so just now, using old wine bottles.

fingers crossed...

Thanks for the info Zapped! I have some fresh chocolate mint growing in the backyard that I can use for the mocktail, I will surprise my wife with it since she is 8 months pregnant and definitely misses being able to have a cocktail.

It gets decently fizzy just in the primary but could see it really taking off when bottled, I will have to try the ginger since I love a good ginger ale.

My KT is not sweet but more vinegary as I don't want to drink sugar either and have typically let it go a week or so after an addition to see how things are going.

Good luck endlesssummer, the fruit flies really do love this stuff so keep it covered tight!

I saved all my store bought Kombucha bottles and juiced some ginger for my secondary fermentation. I love the fizzy stuff! Though it takes another 5-7 days. I'm thinking of juicing some cherries for another batch.

Fresh juice is always great, I have to try this since my little juicer hasn't been seeing much action lately.

I use a apricot honey loose leaf tea for my kombocha. It's very good. I've tried other flavored teas, so far this is the best!

Where do you usually get this from w00pr? Sounds like it could be good enough to try!

Does anyone know where I can find a stainless steel lever faucet? The one on my jug is indeed chromed plastic so I need to hopefully find a replacement one that is stainless.....

I saw a 3 gallon glass container with a stainless steel spigot at Costco for cheap last week. I forgot the price exactly but since I'm just starting the Kombucha thing I didn't pick it up. I might go back for it though...

MmmmBeer said:
Where do you usually get this from w00pr? Sounds like it could be good enough to try!

There is a local store that fancy cooking stuff and I got it there. I will check the brand of it.

Back