World Cup 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergorila

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what to brew to have 4 brews on draft during the World Cup this summer, as we will be holding several game viewing parties (USA!!), but many of those guests who will show do not yet appreciate adventurous beer styles.

I want to have a good balance across the 4 taps with the hopes of maybe converting ONE of our guests to the beauty of craft beer. I really want one to be a Saison, you know, for selfish reasons, so I too can enjoy the beautiful game with my favorite style - although I may be the only one returning to that tap.

I've been looking forward to this since I started brewing a few years ago (I began after the last tournament in '06). So with a Saison planned, that leaves 3 ... does anyone have some ideas for a good balanced mix, but showcasing some unique quality too for our planned parties? A cream ale? A boring amber? Create an Irish IPA (a name potential is on the tip of the tongue for that idea!)? Coconut stout?

I recommend brewing a beer to console yourself when England beats the snot out of the US on June 12th :D

Hooligans are more lager lads than real ale drinkers.

My family of hardcore bmc'ers all like my saison. Every time I give some to my mom she says 'it tastes like coors' like she's never told me that before. If you're really worried about people not liking your saison then you're gonna have to do a cream ale imo.

I think a Blond/Cream Ale would be a good call in one of your taps and I would gently add flavor hops to adjust people's palate for later. Next tap I would do either a Belgian Wit or Hefeweizen, personally I'd go with the Hefe. People like wheat beers and a wheat beer more flavorful than an American Style may help expand peoples beer appreciation. A Saison! An Irish Red with a subtle amount of flavor/aroma hops. You could also do an Amber but I think for non-craft beer drinkers the bitterness of an American Amber can be overwhelming. I wouldn't do anything too dark unless it is an English Brown or Mild just because you don't want to challenge people too much at first. Just my .02

I heartily recommend BM's Cream of 3 Crops. I just racked mine to the keg, and shared the hydro sample with the roomies, who both drink Miller Lite. They both requested I always have a keg on tap.
I would also recommend an amber, a hefe and an English pale for the more adventurous.

I'm a huge soccer fan and having lived in Ireland i must suggest any kind of Irish Red or Stout for a match! There is no better feeling than watching a Liverpool match in a Pub in Ireland full of Liverpool supporters drinking a Guinness! I'm getting geared up and will probably brew 20 gallons (5 gal each of diff brews) or so for my USA watch parties!

I would make a Brazillian IPA

And and Italian Stout for back up.

Just sayin.....

Alright. Are you ready for my great idea?

Brew a beer representing each of the beers the US will be playing. England will be easy, chose an ESB, Mild, Brown, or any English Ale your heart desires. I must admit I have no idea what kind of beer the make in Algeria or Solvenia, but I am sure a google search could at least provide the most sold types of beer.

If you want to go more main stream just do major soccer countries. England, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, etc... If there aren't iconic styles for the country, just come close to a commercial example.

What I think works well about this is that people don't mind trying something new if they feel that it is a part of the experience. Someone new more adventuresome beer will be more willing to give it a try if there is a good reason. I.e. trying a Bock while Germany plays US, etc.

And, of course you'll need a great American example as well. APAs, American IPAs are well and nice, but I think a truly American style like a Steam beer would be excellent.

Oh yeah, and if people don't like it, you can buy some Miller. After are they are partly run by SAB and the game are in South Africa...

Great ideas all ... thanks for the input so far! I think a cream ale is definitely in the cards.

2 taps solidified, 2 more to nail down. Hmmm...

To cover South and Central America (Go Honduras!), try a Bhrama or Quilmes clone, which are really just typical lagers more or less.

My vote is for cracking open Bock on June 13th, and then keeping enough around for awhile.

Back