Hoptical Illusion - Robert Simpson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Well, stopped by what used to be the Robert Simpson brewery a couple days ago.

Looks like they're repositioning themselves, changing their name to 'Funky Monkey' or something (no, I'm not kidding) and have a new brew they're calling Hoptical Illusion, a 'nearly pale ale'. With the name and new graphics, I guess they're going for the some sort of a cross between psychedelic and dance club crowd. A little disappointing from a company that sells kegerator conversion kits, and homebrewing books!

Nearly is a good term, because it certainly isn't a pale ale. Hops are weak, with a poor finish, IMO. Oh well, I'm not impressed, but that's becoming more and more common as I become a better brewer!

Felt I should update this 'review'.

Seems like RS/Funky Monkey must've been having some problems with QC/batch control. I talked to some other people, who said they'd had this beer and enjoyed it at times, felt it lacking others. I recently picked up a 6 and found it to be very good. Nice hop finish to it, not very bitter.

Consistency might be/have been a problem, but I retract my earlier statements!

Back