What % Efficiency do you get batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertHSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I have been refining my batch sparge technique, I have been getting better and better efficency. My last 6 gallons came out with 88% efficency. I have typically gotten with in a couple of points of 80 %, but never this high. Which got me thinking:

What efficiencies do other the batch spargers on this board get?

I usually get 70-75%. I could probably make some adjustments to get that higher which I probably will someday, but for now I'm making real good beer and happy where I'm at with regards to efficiency.

75%-85% depending on which malt and who crushes it. I just got a BC so I hope I can get a more consistent efficiency.

I just brewed a pale ale with 9 lbs. of Maris Otter, one pound of British Crisp, and one pound of American Two Row (they ran out of Maris Otter) and ended up with an OG of 68. I think that is an 83.5% efficiency. If so, that is the best I've ever done. Does that math sound right? It is a five gallon batch.

54-75 i still haven't nailed down a solid process nor a solid crush. should be able to get the crush in line very soon as i am gettin a custom built mill here soon. as for the process i think i know what i need to do but i want to see a few others brew be4 i make any drastic changes.

I've only done a few all grain batches so far, my first one was 60% eff but since then they've all been 75%-ish.

I just got a barley crusher for x-mas so I should be able to hit at least 80%

I used to get 80-85% mash efficiency using my non-adjustable schmidling malt mill. I then bought a monster mill and backed off my crush to 0.046 in an effort to get better flow thru my herms coil (and better temp control). It worked quite well but my efficiency fell to 75-80%. To me, this has been a good compromise.

Usually 70-73. I am not too concerned about going higher. I care more about the consistancy than being able to save a dollar per batch!

I have a corona mill and I batch sparge. I have fiddled with the mill and gone from 60% to 70% and then the last few brews in the 80% range using a corded electric drill attached to the mill.

I mash thin - between 1.5 and 2 quarts per lb. typically. Usually at 152 for 75 to 90 minutes. Runoff and 1 sparge. Typically 75-80% for beers at 1.070 and below - 65-70% for beers above 1.070.

For my first few AG brews I only got between 50 and 60% but yesterday I brewed a mild and lo and behold if my numbers are correct I hit 81% :ban: Holy Crap how did that happen. I believe that since I took longer on my double batch sparge that is what made my efficency jump up (I was also sober for the first time the whole brewing process:D)

SD

Right around 75%. However, my mash tun is getting upgraded. I have been having problems maintaining good temps so I am upgrading and getting bigger (10 gallon cooler). I am hoping this will get my efficiency up a bit. I am also thinking about moving to fly sparging though.

85% efficiency.

Barley Crusher at 0.040 mill gap; 7-gallon round igloo cooler MLT; Single infusion mash, mash-out, single sparge.

I've been hitting around 55-65%, but my new Barley Crusher is on it's way and I'll be using the 5.2 stabilizer. Hopefully I can get this number up.

Right around 85% usually. A boiling water infusion to raise the mash to mashout temp, then vorlauf and drain first runnings. Sparge water is split into two batches, stirring after each addition (requires vorlaufing again to set the grain bed).

Latest posts

Back