What You Wear While Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also wear gauntlets when doing any step that involves raw grain. I was surprised to notice just how much dust collected on my arms, glasses and head as a result of milling and mashing in - even with being careful. So now once I'm mashed in the gloves come off and the hat gets changed.

No intended disrespect, but this sounds like overkill to me. I don't think outfit changes or gauntlets are standard procedure for homebrewers or professional brewers. To each their own, I suppose. :mug:

No intended disrespect, but this sounds like overkill to me. I don't think outfit changes or gauntlets are standard procedure for homebrewers or professional brewers. To each their own, I suppose. :mug:

Overkill to put on a pair of gloves and change a hat? Next time you mash in, check out how much dust collects on your arms. Those same arms that you use to swirl your wort as you chill it. It's a good way to accidently brew a sour beer.

Grain dust is loaded with lactobacillus! Some maltsers even add it to the malting process as a biocontrol agent as it helps to keep other microbes under control while the grain is germinating and it also improves malt quality

ForumRunner_20130228_145031.png

Seemed I would always end up spillilng wort all over me or soaking my shoes and jeans when cleaning. Found some rubber boots at Big 5 for $12 and a nice painters apron with pockets and stuff for $20. I now look like a serial killer when I brew, but at least Halloween is covered :rockin:

I know we are all being funny but Yoop brought up a very important point... this is a hobby that requires at least a modicum of protective gear. A shirt and a pair of shorts and crocs at the very least. Unless you are making apfelwein in a better bottle indoors on a surface you are unlikely to slip on... in which case... go ahead and let it all hang out.

Usually I wear whatever... depending on where I just was or what I was doing prior. I often wear my sleeping cap when I am brewing something experimental, though, to let the brew gods know I am serious. The okra mead was a sleeping cap endeavor.

I know we are all being funny but Yoop brought up a very important point... this is a hobby that requires at least a modicum of protective gear. A shirt and a pair of shorts and crocs at the very least. Unless you are making apfelwein in a better bottle indoors on a surface you are unlikely to slip on... in which case... go ahead and let it all hang out.

That's a good point. There's an interesting complexity, though. Clothing can protect against hot liquid burns, but it can also make minor burns more serious.

If you get splashed with a gallon of boiling water across the chest, you'll get a nasty scald before it runs off to the floor. The relatively small amount of water that sticks to your skin will cool quickly because of its small heat mass.

If that same gallon gets absorbed by a heavy woolen sweater, on the other hand, there will be no place for it to go and thus no place for that heat energy to dissipate except directly into your skin.

I've seen bad burns become extremely bad burns for exactly this reason. I'm no expert on this stuff, and hope anyone who is will chime in, but I've always felt safer wearing relatively less fabric rather than relatively more. Perhaps that makes me more vulnerable to minor burns and less vulnerable to serious burns, but I'm not sure what the recommendations are here.

Yeah I'm in the shorts and no shoes club. Sometimes I wear sandles. I also mow my lawn and run my weed eater bare footed. :D

Patent leather codpiece, Groucho Marx glasses, Uggs, and a single mitten. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm a tastemaker.

I brew in what I have on that day. I always have some sort of hiking/tennis shoe on, tee shirt and pants or shorts pending weather.

Freud would love this thread. Guys talking about how they like to brew beer naked, or nearly so. Forget tell me about your mother, tell me about your creepy uncle that created this affinity for nudism and flip flops.

That said, gotta wear pants. I still have a pretty good burn scar on my leg from transporting a keggle while wearing shorts.

Perry Ellis suit, preferably with a vest; Pronto Uomo shirt with French cuffs; Bostonian wing tips, polished to a high gloss; and Carlo Franco seven fold tie.

That's a good point. There's an interesting complexity, though. Clothing can protect against hot liquid burns, but it can also make minor burns more serious.

If you get splashed with a gallon of boiling water across the chest, you'll get a nasty scald before it runs off to the floor. The relatively small amount of water that sticks to your skin will cool quickly because of its small heat mass.

If that same gallon gets absorbed by a heavy woolen sweater, on the other hand, there will be no place for it to go and thus no place for that heat energy to dissipate except directly into your skin.

I've seen bad burns become extremely bad burns for exactly this reason. I'm no expert on this stuff, and hope anyone who is will chime in, but I've always felt safer wearing relatively less fabric rather than relatively more. Perhaps that makes me more vulnerable to minor burns and less vulnerable to serious burns, but I'm not sure what the recommendations are here.

Next time hubby gets all mad about me brewing naked in the front yard, I will explain this to him.

Perry Ellis suit, preferably with a vest; Pronto Uomo shirt with French cuffs; Bostonian wing tips, polished to a high gloss; and Carlo Franco seven fold tie.

That may be more practical than an Elvis Presley suit.

Back