Foodie Challenge! What is passedpawn making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the first of 3 pictures. No hints yet. Don't worry, though, they are coming. Why is it yellow, and what are those brown things.

2012-12-28-at-211529-57791.jpg

my first thought was a corn meal/polenta...the brown stips could have been roasted chilies...hard to say.

so its got orange, vanilla, sugar and butter...errr no idea other then some buttery orange sugar yummy something or other

could be that your folding this in to some egg whites...maybe a meringue...or a whipped cream filling

i would not have guessed cookies. my polenta looks similar. i usually end up making to much and end up rolling it in plastic wrap.

i would not have guessed cookies. my polenta looks similar. i usually end up making to much and end up rolling it in plastic wrap.

WHOAH!!! Sorry, confusion, those cookie pictures were not what I'm making. Sorry, I'm going to delete them. That was confusing.

[edit] for the record, I deleted some cookie pics that had nothing to do with this thread. I'm officially an idiot. Thanks folks for playing.

ginger cream...vanilla...sugar...id guess ginger snaps of some sort...but not sure if cream is involved in those...so ginger sugar cookies?

Mmmm, ginger. I love to cook with ginger. I cook a lot of chinese, and the fresh-cut ginger root is so good in the wok.

But no, there's no ginger in this recipe. Makes me think though. Dayum, ginger is really great. Not only do I have a whole root in my fridge, I've got a bunch of candied ginger.

Mmmm, ginger. I love to cook with ginger. I cook a lot of chinese, and the fresh-cut ginger root is so good in the wok.

But no, there's no ginger in this recipe. Makes me think though. Dayum, ginger is really great. Not only do I have a whole root in my fridge, I've got a bunch of candied ginger.

The worst part of this thread is the hunger.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!!!!!!

Yea, you got that one right away Revvy. It's vanilla bean.

That pic above was early in the mixing. After about 20 minutes of mixing, the contents really starts fluffing up. It seriously overflowed that bowl (ended up with 2.5 quarts). Can't wait for this stuff to ripen in the freezer.

I made a batch of caramel pecan ice cream a few days ago that is crazy good.

Here's the recipe I'm using for the vanilla. It's my favorite ice cream flavor, so I'm going to keep making it to perfect it for my taste. That guy Lebovitz has a great cooking site. Highly recommended.

passedpawn said:
This pic from this morning. I got this attachment for my KitchenAid mixer for christmas. Works much better than I expected. I had to let the ingredients from last night chill before continuing.

So ya like it? Love my KitchenAid Stand mixer. I picked up the food grinder and am probably going back for the fruit strainer for it and the food slicer maybe.

The ice cream maker is universal for all models?

So ya like it? Love my KitchenAid Stand mixer. I picked up the food grinder and am probably going back for the fruit strainer for it and the food slicer maybe.

The ice cream maker is universal for all models?

Yes, I think so. It locks into my Artisan model, and came with an adapter to fit some other base type. It also has brackets on the side to fit the KitchenAid Pro mixer (which I wish I had).

I was hoping for the pasta maker, but my wife subbed this. I'm happy.

I'll warn you right now, though, this ice cream is really good. Really really good. I'm a recipe tweaker - I almost never make the same thing twice. But the vanilla recipe I linked above is so perfect, I think it can't be improved (except to cut calories - ouch!).

I'm on my second rebuilt of my KA Pro... I mean I have been using it to make bread every morning for three years but still :(
They are at least easy to take apart and find parts for. Parts are cheap too unless its the metal base or the motor.

The pasta maker is nice but the attachment to cut the noodles isn't as handy as it could be. The noodles have to be THIN. I like thick noodles in my with my chicken.

The ice cream maker is handy but I was short freezer space at the time so it really took some planning to make the ice cream.

CHefJohnboyardee said:
I'm on my second rebuilt of my KA Pro... I mean I have been using it to make bread every morning for three years but still :(
They are at least easy to take apart and find parts for. Parts are cheap too unless its the metal base or the motor.

You are teetering on the edge of needing a commercial floor standing unit. Good job!

20 oz bread flour, 12 oz water... shouldn't make a mixer that size hurt. I don't care if it is every morning!

Measure out my coffee, start the pot, measure out the flour and water, start the mixer. By the time the coffee is brewed the dough is kneaded. About all I use it for.

Ohwell.

Homemade Icecream is fun. Making two gallons at a time is even more fun ;)

Back