Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan and fermenting at 70ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
What can I expect at this temp? All I've been able to find is that warmer generally gives more banana and gum flavor but never really a temperature range saying where it goes from banana to gum flavors.

I was hoping to get mostly banana from it with just a mild touch of clove and no gum flavor if possible. I've seen that most hefeweizen yeasts can be beasts and produce lots of heat so I would hate for it to hit 80 in the carboy and get the banana gum weizen.

I just used that in a Kristal Weisse and fermented at 62f per Jamil's advice in BCS. You will get huge banana and clove flavors at 70f.

I've heard that clove is at the lower end of the range, banana higher, and bubblegum is like over 75+. I ferment my hefe's at around 70, and I like it that way. I tried 62 once and I didnt like it. But that time i made a starter, so I'm not sure if it was the increased amount pitched or the temperature. And that's temp or the wort not ambient temp.

I think there is more to ester production than just temperature. I think aeration and pitching rates are almost more important, but I dont have any facts to back that up. Pitching less in less aerated wort should produce more esters no? Or maybe you still need more aeration? I know a lot of people on this board do not make starters for their hefe's because they want the ester production. So something else to think about.

Most german brewers pitch their yeast in the low 60s and let it climb up to the 70s. I read that in "brewing with wheat"

Back