Sitting on a dock for the last year..........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everyday, I pass by an abandoned warehouse daily. For the last year, I have eyed a steel #50 CO2 bottle just sitting on the abandoned dock.

There is a sign with a phone number for the leasing agent/owner. I have considered calling to see if they'd mind if said bottle is removed from their dock. That is, as long as the bottle doesn't show any sign of being condemned. If it hadn't been condemened I would most definitely have it checked and most likely re-certified, unless the recent cert shows to be within the last 2 years.

I am just not sure I want to deal with the weight handling of a #50 pound bottle.

Would you go for it, if this was you?

Chances are the bottle was a lease from a Gas Supplier and they might want it back. And maybe they'll let you swap it back for a full one. You never know.

Around here it would have already be gone for scrap.

Chances are the bottle was a lease from a Gas Supplier and they might want it back. And maybe they'll let you swap it back for a full one. You never know.

Around here it would have already be gone for scrap.

Yes. Chances are but you'd think said supplier would have collected the bottle by now, especially considering that for commercial purposes they usually have a delivery/pickup service.

So, in reality. It's prolly a defective bottle and not worth the $30.00 to have it hydro'd for safety.

But then again, you never really know til you act............

I will have to note the telephone number tomorrow and call the Owner just so's when I go to collect the bottle I don't get accused of thievery. With some luck, you may be right and by returning the bottle I may be able to continue to swap with the rightful owner. If that be the case, I think I'd rather trade it for a big ole bottle of O2. I am growing tired of the little red bottles.

Yes. Chances are but you'd think said supplier would have collected the bottle by now, especially considering that for commercial purposes they usually have a delivery/pickup service.

That depends on what type of use they had for the gas in the said bottle. If it is CO2 and they where/are an Oxy/Acetylene shop there may not be a pickup date specified on the order.

Or they may be a self swap shop based on location/price of delivery. I wouldn't pay to have the company swap out my tanks if it was cheaper for me to do it myself. That's what we did at my father's fab shop when I was a kid. Made a shopping day out of it in the big city. :D

50# CO2 tank!?!? Def worth call... If it's out of date, a lot or welding supply places will still swap it out. Dang... 50#!?!? A year!?!?

Back