Copper Harbor, MI Hoists a Brew to You!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head413

Reaction score
Nice! Now I have another forum for another of my obsessions. Hi, my name is Jason and I have a problem.:drunk: No that's not right. I am without a doubt the farthest north brewer in Michigan, unless some bloke out on a freighter is doing so right now. So, um Hi. I like beer, and I guess you do too. Lets talk.

Nice! Now I have another forum for another of my obsessions. Hi, my name is Jason and I have a problem.:drunk: No that's not right. I am without a doubt the farthest north brewer in Michigan, unless some bloke out on a freighter is doing so right now. So, um Hi. I like beer, and I guess you do too. Lets talk.

Yooper is pretty close, so you two will have to fight to see who has UP brewing supremecy...and I am pretty sure, she'd kick your a$$...

Welcome from the furthest homebrewer in South East lower Michigan.

:mug:

Welcome!
I've done some mtn. biking and kayaking in and around Copper Harbor.
It's a nice place to get away from it all.
original.jpg

Welcome! Getting good beer is hard enough in the central UP- it must be tough to get decent beer in Copper Harbor! I guess that's why we start brewing our own, though.

Again, welcome!

Keystone Bay, Barney the Sherrif, and Fireworks July 4th on the Lookout over town.

Welcome to HBT.:mug:

Welcome Jason! Copper Harbor is a great place. I'm yet another Tech grad, now in WI.

Ice9 - awesome pic! I need to get back on Brockway . . .

Who knew that so many Tech Geeks end up making beer:rockin: I know a Mech Engineer at Tech who makes Whiskey with his Chem Engineer friend.

And the Sheriff now is Aho, I've still never been to Keystone, and I get to light off the fireworks on the 4th.

Yesterday I hit the trails and managed 10 miles in about an hour and a half, not to bad for only a week into Mtn. Bike season.

Who knew that so many Tech Geeks end up making beer:rockin: I know a Mech Engineer at Tech who makes Whiskey with his Chem Engineer friend.

One of the most famous Tech Geeks actually wrote "the book" on homebrewing. How To Brew by John Palmer is one of my all-time favorites.

Our little group consists of 3 grads of da Tech. It's a popular pastime after you leave dere.

My husband is also a Tech grad- but before most of you were born. My daughter was thinking about Tech, but is at NMU instead (traitor!).

Something about brewing attracts the geeks, that's for sure.

Long live Geeks! :mug:

Welcome to HBT! Spent some time in CH on my honeynmoon last September. That picture Ice9 posted sure brings back memories!:)

And the Sheriff now is Aho, I've still never been to Keystone, and I get to light off the fireworks on the 4th.

Yesterday I hit the trails and managed 10 miles in about an hour and a half, not to bad for only a week into Mtn. Bike season.

Ask around for a story about a deputy that was a real azz to people on the 4th, and so they grabbed him ( the town turns into a wall to wall sea of cans a foot deep, and drucks) and handcuffed him to the door handle, with his pants around his waist ( this has been awhile, back when car doors had 'handles'). He was later found guilty of soliciting sexual favors from innocent female drivers, and fired.

Wait until about August, THEN drive out to Keystone Bay. The two track down to the lake is severely eroded 'pudding stone', and I wouldn't take a car. It took me using 4-low lock, in a Silverado, to get there.;)

Fireworks from the 'lookout' are surreal, as they come only up about eye level, and appear to be in slow-motion. We always waited a couple more hours partying before coming down to town, and let traffic and trouble clear out. The town is carpeted in cans-it is really unbelievable-until you've seen it.:D

Ha. EE MTU grad here also.

Welcome.

Didn't make it up to copper harbor often enough. Beautiful area.
(I suppose the millions of cubic feet of snow had something to do with it.)

My husband is also a Tech grad- but before most of you were born. My daughter was thinking about Tech, but is at NMU instead (traitor!).

Something about brewing attracts the geeks, that's for sure.

Long live Geeks! :mug:

Agreed long live the Geeks! :mug:

And my favorite dig on Northern...
NMU - Where the N stands for knowledge.

Ya der

Much Love to the land that begins US41

From yet another Techie (00) who started this craft with the CO-OP in Hancock

Yeah my wife used to go around town the day after the forth and make upwards of $50 in cans, when she was 12. But not anymore, we as a town have made it more of a family affair and there is a large, for up here, police presence on the 4th. They use the community building as a holding tank and make their presence known.

But God some of the stories I've heard, and especially about the old Octoberfest. That got cancelled years ago, unfortunately when someone was dragged to death under a 4x4.

I will ask some of the older crowd about that sheriff story, sounds about right for up here.

I've gotten out to the Beaver Pond on the way to Keystone, but with my small 2wd truck, um no.

And much love to the Co-Op:)

Love copper harbor, I have some wonderful fuzzy memories from 4th of july up there. You're probably the farthest north michigan brewer (unless i can sneak my carboy up to isle royal this summer)

I've been up there many times! I have family in Houghton (we always hit up the B&B) and they have a cabin between Phoenix and Eagle River, just off 26. Been to the Cliffview Bar there in Phoenix quite a few times! Also been up to Copper Harbor a couple times. Beautiful area!

Welcome!

Cheers from a Tech grad who lives in Houghton, got married in Copper Harbor, and shops at the Keweenaw Co-op for some brewing supplies. Weird.

:mug:

Enginerds unite for beer!

Thanks to all!! The Keweenaw is great for beer. Soon to be another micro up here :) I've been busy in the last year or so.

Yup that's me. I have a thread down in DIY about it.

If anyone wants to shoot the breeze, hit the sweet mtn. bike trails or say high when they're up here, just stop at the Gaslite General Store and ask for Jason. I'm either there, across the street, or at home and they'll know where I'm at.

And you're right Suds the trails up here are amazing, epic even. :p

Cool, Head413. I'm from the Houghton area originally and get up to Copper Harbor once in awhile. I'll be sure to check it out once it's up and running.

Yup that's me. I have a thread down in DIY about it.

If anyone wants to shoot the breeze, hit the sweet mtn. bike trails or say high when they're up here, just stop at the Gaslite General Store and ask for Jason. I'm either there, across the street, or at home and they'll know where I'm at.

And you're right Suds the trails up here are amazing, epic even. :p

We're spending most of a week up there while my daughter attends a summer engineering camp at Tech. I'll be SURE to stop by and say hey. :mug:

Welcome to Home Brew Talk
Always wanted to go to Cooper Harbor, never had the chance, maybe someday after the grand-kids move out, if I am not too old to travel by then.

Back