Looking for heatstick(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey FlyGuy have you used this yet. I just got one from the local Coop.

It doesn't really have much of a handle. Is that an issue?

One of the reasons I got it was to heat up my Mash if I'm a little low. Any one ever done this. I take it you need to move it around so as not to scortch the grist. But how much? Constantly? Or just make sure not to leave it stationary for five minutes type thing?

Thanks

Rudeboy

I have this very model of bucket heater. It doesn't really have a handle, what you see is what you get. It won't be hot, so it doesn't matter, just keep it a few inches out of the water. I use it in combination with a timer, so I can start it heating in the early morning hours. Then, I finish the HLT off with a burner. I suppose I could get to 180+ with 2 heaters on separate circuits. I used mine in a 40F garage, heating a 10 gallons of 40F water in a keg. That's a lot of water to raise in temp.....I managed to get it to 140F before it plateaued. In a warmer environment and with keg insulation, I bet I could get it to strike temps in a few hours.;)

Ever use it in the mash?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Nope. I just used mine to heat water.

Why do you want to raise the temp of the mash? Step mashing is frequently talked about but most malts are so well modified that you don't really need to do it. If you have an efficient MLT, you can hold temp within a degree for well past an hour.:mug:

Back