Brewing in So Cal, here to learn and share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The only time I brewed anything alcoholic was over a year ago in jail, but I recently realized that it would be fun and cheaper to brew my own stuff. Seriously, idk why I didn't start years ago

San Diego here.
Tell your story about brewing in jail, I think it would be an interesting read.

Cool, San Diego is my favorite city here, I go there to surf occasionally.

I spent the entire month of September 2007 in a Phoenix jail, and that cut my 4 month drinking binge short. Needless to say, my bloodstream was craving a bit of alcohol and I spent the first 3 days sleeping and feeling like sh*t. Once I emerged from my comatose and started to socialize with my cellmates, they taught me how to make "hooch", which is basically cider in it's most primative form. To make it, we would smash any type of fruit we could find (usually orange or plum) in a bag until it was liquified or pureed, then we would add a broken up half loaf of bread for yeast and 6-12 Jolly Ranchers. Then we would squeeze it all into a bottle and shake it until the Jolly Ranchers were dissolved. I burped them 2-3 times a day and slept with them between my legs to keep them warm for faster fermentation, and after 4 days to a week it was ready to drink. They didn't taste very good or go down smooth at all, but they contained a decent amount of alcohol. A rough estimate judging only by taste would be about 20-25%, and if it's been weeks since you've cracked a brew that will get you drunk :p We also tried making vodka from our potato slop but that didn't turn out too well because I have no idea how to make vodka and I got the feeling none of the other guys did either. And I really wasn't too eager to drink it after we filtered it with Joey's sock X-)

Back