Top-cropping US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I may brew a batch in the next day or so, but I am out of ale yeast. However, I do have a batch just about at high kreusen using US-56.

Anybody ever harvest yeast from an active batch? Results?

thanks, Mike

Yeast harvesting is very common.

You can either pitch your next batch of wort onto the yeast cake in the current fermenter (assuming you siphon the beer out at the same time you're ready to brew).

Or, you can stick your siphon tube down into the current yeast bed...with the black tip removed, and siphon out a good slurry of yeast right out of the fermenter. This way you can leave the current beer where it is, and begin another batch.

Roger BM, thanks,
I have harvested like you mention when fermentation is complete. However, right now all I have is an active batch that I started several days ago. I guess I could syphon off the bottom and see what comes up?

There is also patches of what appears to be yeast on top, I was wondering about harvesting the top yeast?? Not sure there is enough on top though? I figure I should have like at least a half cup or preferably cup of slurry.

Back