Need a Manny's Pale Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone had Manny's Pale Ale ? A friend of mine is from Seattle and wants a clone for this draft only beer from Georgetown brewing.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe, But I did want to say that that Manny's is a damn fine beer. Good luck with the recipe search.

From Georgetown's website for Manny's Pale Ale

Two-row Pale, Crystal, and Cara-Pilsner Malt. Magnum and Cascade hops. IBU's: 37. Original gravity 1.052 (13 Plato). Finishing gravity 1.010 (2.5 Plato). English Ale yeast. Alcohol by Volume: 5.5%.

Based on the above description, I formulated this recipe in BeerSmith.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Manny's Pale Ale Clone
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Mash at 152f for 60 minutes.

Total Grain Weight: 9.75 lb

I haven't brewed this but it was a best guess based on the information from the website and countless pints at local pubs. I've found that both Manny and Roger are very open to helping out fellow brewer's whether commercial or homebrewer's so you may want to just give them a call and see if they'll share the recipe with you. Or feel free to take this one to them and see what they think.

EDIT - oops, just noticed your in SLC so going down to the brewery is probably out of the question, I would still encourage you to call.

Perhaps others could chime in with their thoughts/changes to the above recipe.

Good luck

Thanks Brewtopia! My friend gave me that same info, and I pondered whether or not I could create a recipe from it.

I figured I could get an o.g. from the base malt, but I didn't know how much Crystal or Carapils to add. Not to mention, I've never seen the beer, so the Lovibond rating on the crystal would be a guess as well for me.

I'm pretty new to all of this, and just did my first AG batch. I think I should brew this and see how my friend thinks it compares.

I'm guessing the yeast is one of the more major components. How many English Ale yeasts are there? Maybe I should just have my friend call the brewery and ask them.

I know that this is an older post, but Im just getting into All Grain and was attempting to brew Manny's myself. I used "Designing Great Beers" and did the work by hand, but had to make some guesses. I did it based on 8 gallons but I think I did about 85% 2-Row, about 10 % Crystal and about 5% Cara-Pils. My hop bill was basically the same. I was going to go pick up every thing from my LHBS this weekend but can adjust if it sounds like Im doing something wrong.

How did this recipe turn out?

Went to LHBS and they helped me put together this recipe. Started it last week - I'll let you know how it turns out. I started with 10 gals of water. Should have used 11-12.

Manny’s (sort of) Recipe – 10gal worth:
14lbs of Pilsner Malt Extract (liquid)
1 ¼ lb of Crystal Malted Barley
1 oz Magnum Hops (16.7%)
1 oz Saaz Hops
2 packets of Thames Valley (XL) liquid yeast.

Boil Malt, barley and Magnum for 60min. The Saaz goes in the last 5 min.

The lady at Larry’s (Kent) Brew Shop said not to use Irish Moss on this recipe. It’s cloudy by nature anyway.

Can anyone convert this to an extract recipe with specialty malt steeping?

Use the same specialty grains but swap out the Pale malt with 5 lbs 6 oz of Light DME. If you're doing a concentrated boil (3 gallons) up the initial Magnum addition to 3/4 oz.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Manny's Pale Ale Clone
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Mash at 152f for 60 minutes.

Total Grain Weight: 9.75 lb

I don't know if anyone is still following this post. I was working up a recipe last night and had a couple of thoughts to add.

The beer is marketed as unfiltered so it should definately be cloudy, no finings. Their instructions are to store kegs upside down to keep the sediment from sticking to the bottom and the distributor has advised at least one bar owner to flip a half full keg to "refresh", resuspending the solids that have settled out.

I remember reading or hearing once that Manny significantly overpitches the yeast, so a big starter is in order.

Also, I am pretty sure it is dry hopped. A new keg has a lot of fresh hop flavor.

Made this from extract last March:

5.5 lb dry light extract
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Cara-Pils
.4 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz Cascade 30 min
.5 oz Cascade 5 min
Safale-04 yeast

Turned out really well, took some time to come into its own. From what i remember from the original, i think mine had less hop aroma, so you may be right about the dry hopping. But i think the bitterness and malt character were pretty spot on. If you like this beer, i would recommend looking into Mac and Jacks as well, another great hoppy beer. Plus, i believe Mac and Jacks brewery does similar techniques as Georgetowns, dry hopping kegs and keeping it unfiltered. Best of luck.

I think I'll brew a batch this weekend. By the way, Manny worked at Mac n Jacks before starting Georgetown Brewering and I understand that he is responsible for creating Mac n Jacks African Amber.

African amber is Mack and Jack's full attemp to replicate Mad River Brewing's Jamacan Red.

Still a great beer, but a funny story about the only beer anyone actually dubs, "Mack and Jack's"

African amber is Mack and Jack's full attemp to replicate Mad River Brewing's Jamacan Red.

Still a great beer, but a funny story about the only beer anyone actually dubs, "Mack and Jack's"

Cool story bro, not to defend Mac and Jack's, but where did you hear that story from? Anything i can read up on?

I sat in on a brew session there.

I love African Amber just think its a funny story. Mind you this all happened when Mack and Jacks was really small. Supposedly local bar, dont recall which one mentioned told Mack and Jack's they wanted a beer like "this", meaning the Jamaican red. Mack and Jack's did some trial and error and worked out a recipe and before you knew it everyone was going to the bar to get it and that really started things for them.

Use the same specialty grains but swap out the Pale malt with 5 lbs 6 oz of Light DME. If you're doing a concentrated boil (3 gallons) up the initial Magnum addition to 3/4 oz.

Did anyone ever finish a batch with this recipe to make a comparison?

I don't know if anyone is still following this post. I was working up a recipe last night and had a couple of thoughts to add.

The beer is marketed as unfiltered so it should definately be cloudy, no finings. Their instructions are to store kegs upside down to keep the sediment from sticking to the bottom and the distributor has advised at least one bar owner to flip a half full keg to "refresh", resuspending the solids that have settled out.

I remember reading or hearing once that Manny significantly overpitches the yeast, so a big starter is in order.

Also, I am pretty sure it is dry hopped. A new keg has a lot of fresh hop flavor.

That's really odd. But this beer is very cloudy, so it doesn't surprise me I guess. When the website called for an English yeast, I thought it was one of the rare low flocculating English strains. It really doesn't taste yeasty though. Man, I gotta go to the pub and give it another shot with this in mind.

I stopped by the brewery the other day and picked up a growler of Manny's and a growler or Chopper's Red. I asked the guy at the counter if they would be willing to give out any yeast harvests and he said they're not brewing at the facility anymore, they do it somewhere else now. He said they used to give out some harvests, but he's not sure. He gave me an email address to ask someone, but I haven't pursued it yet. If I get my hands on some, I'd like to try to make a batch of Manny's. Can anyone confirm that the extract recipe listed here is close?

I actually emailed Manny's brewery the other day and asked them what yeast they use. One of their reps responded within a few hours and said it is wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. I haven't tried it yet, but am anxious to get a clone going. The rep also said she could provide me with anything else needed about the recipe. It seemed like they'd give full disclosure if you ask.

Hey guys,

I work at Georgetown Brewing Co. and am the rep mentioned earlier in this thread. We are happy to help answer any questions you have about us or our beer. I can be reached at [email protected].

Cheers,
Lisa

okay, I just had some email correspondence with Lisa from the Georgetown Brewery (see above post). She has given me the thumbs up to share this info:

"Thanks for the email! Our theory is to give home brewers all the ingredients we use, but leave the rest up to them as a way to challenge you to come up with a Manny's Clone. That said I'll tell you as much as I know. We use Summit hops for bittering and Cascade hops for aroma. We do dry hop with the Cascade. The Malts are 2-row, Caramel and Carapils. No clarifying agents are used, it's a cloudy beer, abv = 5.3. Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley is the closest commercial yeast to ours."

I'm so looking forward to trying this. The Georgetown Brewery puts out some excellent beers and their staff is VERY helpful. If any of you are local, I strongly advise you to pick up a couple growlers from these guys! Thanks again for the help Lisa.

okay, I put together an extract recipe based on the info I've gathered. I had to modify it a bit though as I couldn't get Summit hops. I used Magnum instead (oddly enough, the Georgetown Brewery's website says they use Magnum for Manny's). This is what I just put in the primary:

Manny's Pale Ale clone
American Pale Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 37.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.2 SRM
MannysColor.png

7.75 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 79.5 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
0.65 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (2 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) Yeast-Ale

We'll see how she turns out. Thanks again Lisa! :mug:

Is there a reason you're using Pilsner LME? I've never used it, but isn't that a bit light? I'm very curious about how this turns out!

Pilsner LME is the lightest of the LMEs, so all your color and character comes from the specialty grain just like when you are brewing with all grain. If you are an extract with grains brewer you should make every beer with Pilsner LME as the base, imo.

Pilsner LME is the lightest of the LMEs, so all your color and character comes from the specialty grain just like when you are brewing with all grain. If you are an extract with grains brewer you should make every beer with Pilsner LME as the base, imo.

agreed. The darkest I'll go with LME is "light/golden". The flavor should be in the steeped grains. BTW, it's looking great. I have it dry hopping away in my secondary (I thought about doing it all in the primary since Manny's is cloudy anyway, but I wanted to harvest my yeast more easily from my primary). I'll keep you posted and, hopefully, get some comparison pics up when done.

Here are some pics...

Thanks again to Lisa at the Georgetown Brewery
IMG_2691.jpg

and the dry hopping...
IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

it turned out a bit darker than expected based on BeerSmith, so I may ease up on the Crystal next go round. I hope it tastes as good as it looks :mug:

Hey Jimmy. Only tasted a small amount at bottling lastnight. Tasted good and looked nice. I'll post back in a few days when I'm a little more carbed up. Also, I plan to go buy a growler soon and get a little more accurate comparison.

I haven't tried Freemont's, but thanks for the tip. I'll definitely put that on my to do list. BTW, my recipe has some fizz now, but still tastes a little green. I'm going to have to give it some time, then grab some Manny's for comparison.

Thanks Mooseknuckle for putting together the receipe and sharing with us, I'm a local as well and my friend just honored me with asking for me to brew a batch for his graduation party. His favorite is Manny's Pale Ale, so I plan on using your receipe to make a good attempt. How does it taste now after being a month since your last post? Take care!

I'm happy with the taste. I still need to make it back down to the brewery and pick up a growler for a good side by side comparison though. This beer seemed to stay green for a little while though, so if you're going to brew it, do it soon so it has some time to condition. I'll try to post some pics soon too. Good luck

okay, made it to the brewery today and picked up a couple growlers. Here's a side by side pic (mine's on the left):
IMG_2823.jpg

Surprisingly, mine turned out lighter than Manny's. While it was in the carboy, I thought for sure it'd be darker. The hop schedule and aroma for my extract recipe is spot on. Both are great pale ales, but Manny's seems to have a sweeter finish. Perhaps I needed a bit more Crystal to darken and sweeten? All in all, the extract recipe I put together is close and is a good beer, but I'd probably tweak it a bit next go round to try to get that sweet bite that Manny's has. Cheers! :mug:

I just dry hopped this last weekend. party is around aug 14th, so I figure just under 1 month for dry hopping is good correct?

Back