Bee Keeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone here keep bees to extract honey from or to pollenate plants?

Looking to get into it and curious if there is a bee keeping bible book that is recommended.

My father-in-law also does it. He read up on it, but also had a bee-keeping friend of his help him out when he got started.

A fascinating hobby, but I'm not sure how much work is involved.

I know there is a beekeepers bible, but the title escapes me. Had a freind many years ago that was into it. I helped pull honey a few times and have thought about it for years. Still may get into it. One thing to look into is top bar hives. Supposed to be more natural for the bees which reduces varomites and other disease and pests. Look at www.beesource.com for info. Good discussion board there. Also, look up you home state bee keepers association. Might be somebody lives close to you in there that could be a mentor

I keep bees in my back yard, and have two hive from which I harvested 7 gallons of honey from his year. I would suggest Bee Keeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston.

Seems as if home brewers have a lot of father-in-laws into bee keeping. Good combination I think.

My father-in-law is ate up with beekeeping and is wanting me to get a hive. He has hives spread out all over the place and I think he is just wanting to expand his territory to my back yard. I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as he tends to them and not me. Although there are a lot of good honey beer recipes out there it seems.

My father-in-law was also talking about Bee Keeping for Dummies as if it was a good resource for bee hobbyists.

psychodad said:
Seems as if home brewers have a lot of father-in-laws into bee keeping. Good combination I think.

My father-in-law is ate up with beekeeping and is wanting me to get a hive. He has hives spread out all over the place and I think he is just wanting to expand his territory to my back yard. I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as he tends to them and not me. Although there are a lot of good honey beer recipes out there it seems.

My father-in-law was also talking about Bee Keeping for Dummies as if it was a good resource for bee hobbyists.

Mead Too!!!

Back