Is a yellow colour normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick22

Reaction score
I am fermenting store bought apple juice and so far it smells great, however a few days ago it turned yellow.
I'm wondering am I right to be panicking or is this normal.

It has now been fermenting a week and four days. Will this clear up and return to a brown colour?

My ciders are usually a straw color. Sort of a deep golden yellow. If you started with a brown color then it might be the yeast in solution causing the color change. I wouldn't panic at all.

Okay, I'll let it sit and see how it turns out.
Thanks for the reply by the way

Yup, sounds right. Here's a pic to show an example:

ForumRunner_20130414_112731.png

Mine looks nothing like that, when I say yellow I mean yellow, must be from the yeast as others pointed out.

Looks damn nice btw.

I'm just wondering, my cider has been going for 2 weeks now, if I let it go for another 2 should that be sufficient for the yeast to drop out?

Good, I think it's clearing up now and there is a lot more sediment on the bottom.

I just had a taste and holy ****, there is no sugar whatsoever, it's gone dry and it tastes like white wine, not cider.

That's okay I guess.

Depending on your yeast strain and how much additional sugar you added...they can end up tasting more like wine than cider. A nice long bulk age will bring the apple flavor back around.

Maverick22 said:
Good, I think it's clearing up now and there is a lot more sediment on the bottom.

I just had a taste and holy ****, there is no sugar whatsoever, it's gone dry and it tastes like white wine, not cider.

That's okay I guess.

You just let it run dry. Perfectly normal. Your yeast ate all of the natural sugars, and to prevent this dry taste, just add sugar to sweeten to your preference and pasteurize it.

Latest posts

Back