Grain Bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessebymail

Reaction score
So finally got all my all-grain equipment in besides chiller and paddle and those are otw so I got a SNPA clone recipe and went to my LHBS site to check on the ingredients. They are as follows:
9 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
1 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 Perle Hops 60 mins
.25 Magnum Hops 60 mins
.5 Cascade 30 mins
.5 Cascade 15 mins
.5 Cascade 5 mins
US-05
My LHBS sells the pellets in 2 oz increments so I had to get 2 oz of all 3 types. So for 10 lbs of grain and 6 oz hops + dry yeast it came up to $35 without shipping! I think the LHBS equivelant extract brew a lawnmower brew for about 25 bucks. I thought grain was cheaper? I assume the hops are what made it so costly and I should probably buy grain in bulk but I do not have a mill. I could wait to brew this when I harvest my cascade hops but it is my favorite beer for spring. Normally a $35 bill wouldn't concern me this much but I just spent hundreds getting all grain set up and expected less. I suppose I want to know if this is normal. Should buy a mini-fridge and buy in bulk? Is there a cheap way to crush my own grain?

Nevertheless even if it was a $100 grain bill I'm still super stoked to get into all-grain and it would be worth it. :rockin:

Yeah it is most likely the hops. You have about 14 bucks of grain there at retail.

Buying hops in bulk will save you money at this point. I pay 12 bucks per pound for Cascades at my LHBS. I buy my base malt in bulk as well. I like hoppy ales and have my 10 gallon batches down to about 40 bucks per.

Well the grain only adds up to $10.75 but the Cascade and Perle hops are $5 bucks for 2 oz and the Magnum is $6 bucks for 2 oz so thats 21 dollars -_-

Well the grain only adds up to $10.75 but the Cascade and Perle hops are $5 bucks for 2 oz and the Magnum is $6 bucks for 2 oz so thats 21 dollars -_-

You are getting hosed on the hops. $2.50 and $3/oz. is high. I pay $1.50-$2.00 per ounce at my LHBS and can buy single ounce packs.
I do not have a mill either but I still buy bulk 2-row for $38 and my LHBS will grind what ever quantity I need for free. If I need 12 lbs. ground, I will take 15 lbs. and they will weigh it out and grind it, add my specialties and re-bag it for me. You should ask them if they would also do that for you.

Back