What a mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I transferred my Stone ruination clone ( Thanks YOOP) to secondary and cold crash this afternoon. I have never had such a mess trying to siphon beer. I had to stop, clean the racking cane and restart about 4 times. I had a paint strainer bag over the end to catch any hops that got sucked up, but my ignorant ass had it on the RECEIVING end and not over the actual racking cane end. I switched it and it worked smooth as silk. SO for any new brewers, if you have a TON of hops sludge from dry hopping ( no bag) slip a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and secure it with a bubber band ( obviously sanitize everything) and siphon away.

Also I would add that a Carboy cap is an invaluable piece of equipment that I completely recommend purchasing for starting siphons.

Racking cane goes in the center hole. You gently blow on the second hole. Poof, liquid comes up the cane and follows through in a siphon. Haven't you ever wondered why a carboy cap has two "spouts"?

I transferred my Stone ruination clone ( Thanks YOOP) to secondary and cold crash this afternoon. I have never had such a mess trying to siphon beer. I had to stop, clean the racking cane and restart about 4 times. I had a paint strainer bag over the end to catch any hops that got sucked up, but my ignorant ass had it on the RECEIVING end and not over the actual racking cane end. I switched it and it worked smooth as silk. SO for any new brewers, if you have a TON of hops sludge from dry hopping ( no bag) slip a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and secure it with a bubber band ( obviously sanitize everything) and siphon away.

hmmm...I have always put the bag over the receiving end in these situations as well and have never had a problem. The cap on the end of my autosiphon seems to do a pretty good job of preventing clogs and I would think that a bag would clog a lot easier on that end.

hmmm...I have always put the bag over the receiving end in these situations as well and have never had a problem. The cap on the end of my autosiphon seems to do a pretty good job of preventing clogs and I would think that a bag would clog a lot easier on that end.

Normally I would agree. this just kept plugging up.

Racking cane goes in the center hole. You gently blow on the second hole. Poof, liquid comes up the cane and follows through in a siphon. Haven't you ever wondered why a carboy cap has two "spouts"?

It has two spouts so the second one can have a blow off tube attached at first and removed later if needed.

Nothing wrong with your idea, except all the bacteria in your mouth as you blow into the precious beer.

People i know that use this trick push it with pure CO2 to avoid contamination and oxidation.

Just my opinion, but spending $11 on an AutoSiphon will solve a lot of this issue, supe easy to use and makes siphoning less of a chore.

Latest posts

Back