Warm room remote temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to track temp on a 24hr or > cycle. I want the widget to perform hourly or < to check the temp and then record it. I want to be able to plot a graph for temp. stablity. If it were recorded onto a computer with a program, all the better.

I also wanted a remote probe i could actually place in the fermenter that would give me a digital read of the actual beer temp..If it were recorded onto a computer with a program, all the better.

I have looked into weather stations but I am just not sure they are the best route.

thanks

I've seen chart recorders used for this type of thing. Do a google search for "chart recorder". I believe they have software packages that perfrom the same functions a chart recorder used to.

You could also look into a small aquarium controller. Sounds pretty crazy, but I'm in this hobby as well as that hobby, and they've just released some controllers for under $100 that can track temperature, measure pH, control heating/cooling elements, all that stuff in a small digital computer unit. It's designed to have a lot of flexibility and functionality for aquariums, but in this hobby, considering most temperature controllers cost $75 as is for a cheapo analog one, for $25 more you can get a LOT more possible functionality. Check Digitalaquatics.com or Neptunesystems.com Either of those manufacturers just came out with new inexpensive controller units.

I've seen chart recorders used for this type of thing. Do a google search for "chart recorder". I believe they have software packages that perfrom the same functions a chart recorder used to.

Chart Recorder Performance using your PC

Wow great lead and great advice! So i believe this is what you are talking about right?
I think this will do exactly what i want and for the right price 25 bucks!!!
however how would one intergrate it to a temp. probe? i would image you could use this for the air temp in the room and for the fermenters beer temp. right?
Wow this is exciting!! I will be able to really dial in long term temp control.

If you are at all electronically-oriented, this could be done with an Arduino microprocessor, a temperature sensor IC, and some sort of communications port. I plan on doing this myself to monitor and control my fermentation cabinet temperatures, and while I'm at it I can add another to my kegerator to monitor temperature and add a couple weight sensors for my kegs so I can tell when they're getting low.

So i believe this is what you are talking about right?
I think Soperbrew was talking about real chart recorders.

I still use them to monitor my grain storage and for other non control applications.

One of my single pen versions
RoomTempChartrecorder_00.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

wow i have never seen anything like that before.
it doesnt look like it would hook up to a computer?

If you are not electronically oriented, LaCrosse has a PC card for use with their weather stations and remote sensors.

That Dickson looks like WW2 surplus! Haven't seen one of those since the '70s.

Back