Adding the extract (like hops)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
As I understand it you are suppose to put ALL the DME/LME into the pot once you've got a boil going.

Does adding it at different times give different effects like a hop schedule?

Thanks!

Most experienced extract brewers will recommend that you add half of the extract at the beginning of the boil, then the rest at the end. It helps keep the colour light, and lessens the chance of caramelization.

What he means is that once the water boils remove the pot from the heat and pour in the extract. Stir it to dissolve all the extract then return it to the heat. The 2nd half of the extract should go in with a few minutes left in the boil time (I think my last batch I added it with 15 minutes to go in the boil). Or if you think of it as I added the 2nd half of etract 45 minutes into the boil. Using the same procedure as the first can of extract.

What advantage(s) does boiling extract kits achieve in comparison to simply adding the extract with boiling water into the fermenter?

Does adding it at different times give different effects like a hop schedule?

No, but it impacts the hop utilization for bittering.

What advantage(s) does boiling extract kits achieve in comparison to simply adding the extract with boiling water into the fermenter?

Boiling of hops is necessary for bittering. Boiling of extract isn't a requirement.

Back