US-05 Rocket!!! - Should I transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Ok, so I did a mini mash clone of DFH 60 minute IPA on Saturday, and today on Wednesday it's gone from 1.060 to 1.014! I've never had fermentation this quickly before. I knew it would be fermenting a little higher than usual given the fact that it's very mild here at the moment, but my closet is pretty cool. Just wondering now what to do. Should I transfer to secondary already? Also, is there any unwanted flavours that may be present due to fermenting at a higer temp?

Cheers!
Graeme

Just becasue it is done "fermenting" doesn't mean that the yeast is done doing their job. They are very fastiduous creatures who like to clean up the mess they make during fermentation...the stuff that if you rack too soon can lead to off flavors. That's why a lot of us don't secondary and instead leave our beers alone for 3-4 weeks, then bottle...and only secondary if we are dry hopping, adding fruit, or oak. And even then we usually wait 10-14 days before moving our beer.

So don't be in a rush, this is a patience game, and your patience will be rewarded with great beer.

In fact even John Palmer mentions the benefit of not moving the beer right away.

From How To Brew;

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Thanks for the informative reply! I maybe should have been a bit clearer in my post. I know that patience is an a great aid in homebrewing and for the most part I give my beer all the time it needs, I'm just a little take back at this speed this thing has fermented at. I will be dry hopping, should have mentioned that, that's why I posed the question of transfering to secondary or not, I'll be giving it 2 weeks in secondary

Back