Newcastle Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Newcastle Brown Ale clone recipe, perferably using extract?
I am not ready for an AG attempt.:mug:

theres a couple posted here someplace. use the search function and I think you'll come across a couple versions.

-walker

I can never find what I'm looking for on this site so I'll help you out. I got this recipe fromClone Brews[/I]. Although the one batch I brewed didn't turn out quite like New Castle, it did turn out much better in mine and my friends opinions. I think the banana esters were much more prominant than in the real New Castle. I plan on brewing it again in a few weeks.

Cruch ans steep in 1/2 gal. 150 F water for 20 min.
-2oz. British crystal malt
-2oz. British chocolate malt
-1oz. British black malt

Strain the grain water into your brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon water at 150 F. Add water to the brew pot for 1.5 gal total volume. Bring to a boil, remove the pot from heat and add:
-5.75 M&F light DME
-4/5 oz. Target @AA(6.5) HBU

Ad water until total volume in the brew pot is 2.5gal. Boil for 45 min. then add:
-1/2 East Kent Goldings
-1 tsp Irish moss

Boil for 15 min, remove from heat and cool.

Pitch:
1st choice: Wyeast 1098 British ale
2nd choice: Wyeast 1028 Londan ale yeast

Prime 3/4 cup corn sugar

OG= 1.048-1.051 FG=1.011-1.013 IBU=26 SRM=23

Happy Brewing Bro. Let me know how it turns out.:rockin: :rockin:

Chairman Cheyco said:
There was one in BYO a couple issues back. It involved brewing two different beers and blending them.

that's how the real newcastles is made, too. two different beers (a brown and a bitter?) mixed together.

Walker-san said:
that's how the real newcastles is made, too. two different beers (a brown and a bitter?) mixed together.

I heard brown and a amber? But then again Im not sure how reliable my source was, or how drunk they were at teh time.

Chimone said:
I heard brown and a amber? But then again Im not sure how reliable my source was, or how drunk they were at teh time.

That might be right. I was totally guessing.... plus, I don't know how reliable my brain is.

Cregar said:
I thought it was a older & newer beer combined.

maybe. :)

Or maybe you are thinking about guinness. they put a little bit of old, soured beer into the new batches. that's what gives guinness that special twang.

I'm pretty sure it was an old ale and a mild with the old ale contributing the color. So I guess it's not really a brown ale as we normally think of them. I prefer an American nut brown, myself, but a Newkie-ish extract beer should be straightforward and tasty.

Back