Guess what I found on the side of the road?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad_C

Reaction score
So I was driving home yesterday from work, dealing with more than usual traffic, and just the typical A-hole drivers which makes for a real awful commute. After I turned onto the back roads close to the house, I passed a Bud truck that was making deliveries (I assume) to the local establishments. As I came to the next turn in the road, I noticed something shiny in the ditch.

I pulled over immediately, ran over, and there it was... a full sixtel of Fordham Copperhead Ale.

Somehow, this sixtel keg of ale got tired of riding around in the back of the Bud truck, and hopped out. I now have him peacefully surrounded with other ales waiting to be put in the keggerator. :rockin:

So I was driving home yesterday from work, dealing with more than usual traffic, and just the typical A-hole drivers which makes for a real awful commute. After I turned onto the back roads close to the house, I passed a Bud truck that was making deliveries (I assume) to the local establishments. As I came to the next turn in the road, I noticed something shiny in the ditch.

I pulled over immediately, ran over, and there it was... a full sixtel of Fordham Copperhead Ale.

Somehow, this sixtel keg of ale got tired of riding around in the back of the Bud truck, and hopped out. I now have him peacefully surrounded with other ales waiting to be put in the keggerator. :rockin:

You didn't take 270N last night, did you? I ended up taking 117 and other back roads and all I got was two old lady drivers going 10% below the speed limit, a construction that closed one lane temporarily, a train crossing the street, and lots of traffic once in Frederick. Yes, yesterday's traffic sucked. But I didn't get rewarded with free beer :(

You didn't take 270N last night, did you? I ended up taking 117 and other back roads and all I got was two old lady drivers going 10% below the speed limit, a construction that closed one lane temporarily, a train crossing the street, and lots of traffic once in Frederick. Yes, yesterday's traffic sucked. But I didn't get rewarded with free beer :(

No, I took 28N from Germantown, which had an accident, and road construction. Then got behind a few drivers doing about 20 miles under speed limit. Found the keg just north of Burkittsville on Rt 17.

Next time I am visiting home (Dover, DE) I will swing by the brewery and drop off the empty keg. That way everyone on here can sleep easier at night. :mug:

So you essentially stole a keg of beer. Great. Congrats, I guess.

How do you get from that story, that I stole a keg of beer. Why not look at it like the truck driver was littering, and I was helping clean up the countryside? Some of you people really need to get off your soap boxes and move on. My conscious is clear on this one, I didn't steal a damn thing.

How do you get from that story, that I stole a keg of beer. Why not look at it like the truck driver was littering, and I was helping clean up the countryside? Some of you people really need to get off your soap boxes and move on. My conscious is clear on this one, I didn't steal a damn thing.

not only did you pick up the garbage, but could have prevented an accident if someone were to hit it.

also, returning it empty will be better for the environment. your car/truck will consume less gas.

thanks for all the good work you did!! LOL

You said you were going to return the keg once you're done with it. That means you know who it belongs to. And you didn't pay for it. Therefore, you essentially stole it. Just because you didn't break in to the truck to take it, doesn't mean you have a right to it.

If you made a reasonable attempt to return it to the owner, and couldn't find them, that would be different. But you're saying you know who it belongs to and are going to drink it anyway. That's stealing.

If you found a wallet on the side of the road, and there was an address in it for the owner, would you take out the cash and just return the wallet? Because that's what you are doing. The beer (money) isn't yours. Return it.

Sorry to be the one to tell you that. Enjoy drinking the beer that someone else is going to get in to trouble for missing.

Your conscience may be clear but your moral compass is most definitely off.

Directly from the dictionary:
1) steal: to take surreptitiously or without permission

So to summarize, you took the beer and the keg without permission.

That is stealing.

Then you come on to HBT and look for people to congratulate you. Like some others have said, I think you are going to find the majority of HBT users are going to find that unacceptable.

I live over 200 miles away from the brewery. It is not a local brewery. For me to return the keg to them, would require a minimum of 5 hour round trip. If you took the time to look at the map, and notice where I live and where the brewery is you'd know that. Instead you jump to conclusions.

I don't know who the distributor is. There is more than 1 distributor in the area. Do you suggest I call them all up and ask who lost a keg yesterday? Why don't you start calling around for me since your the one worried about it.

That being said, I'm done with this conversation. I didn't mean for this to turn into the moral conversation about keeping/stealing kegs, but it did.

Ok. Note to self. If I ever find a keg of beer, I'm not telling anyone on here about it. Who's to say a couple drunk teenagers didn't have a few of those kegs sliding around the back of a truck on the way to a party, and one bounced out. Either way, corporate America won't miss a keg of beer. They probably won't even care that you returned it.

I bet if you call them and tell them about it... They'd probably tell you to keep it. I'm sure they won't send someone to your house just to pick it up.

FYI I don't have a problem with you doing what you're doing. Enjoy!

I would have left it where it was. Maybe call up the local distributor to let them know where a keg was, IF they wanted to go grab it. IMO, it's not worth drinking, and I have enough [legit] 1/6 bbl kegs on hand already.

Improperly securing the keg would have caused it to get ejected from the truck. Or someone else was driving home with it, hit a bad spot on the road, and it got ejected into the ditch.

You could make a call to the local distribution center, or brewery, tell them you found the keg in a ditch and see what they want you to do with it. You have a 50% chance that they'll not want it back. IF they do want it back, tell them to send out someone to pick it up from you. Or pay you what the round trip will cost in fuel (plus W&T on your vehicle).

Your conscience may be clear but your moral compass is most definitely off.

Directly from the dictionary:
1) steal: to take surreptitiously or without permission

So to summarize, you took the beer and the keg without permission.

That is stealing.

Then you come on to HBT and look for people to congratulate you. Like some others have said, I think you are going to find the majority of HBT users are going to find that unacceptable.

Actually he found something that was lost and there are likely not many ways for him to find the actual owner.

The brewery no longer owns that beer, and unless it was marked with a distributors sticker(not likely) there are probably a handful of distributors that may or may not even know if they lost said keg and thus wouldn't be able to tell you is was theirs. So to get a non answer he would likely have to speak to a handful of people at a handful of distributors. That's assuming it did actually fall off the truck in question. It could have been a random person driving home from the store.

Congrats on your good fortune OP.

I probably wouldn't have wasted the effort to even pick it up. I have more beer than I know what to do with as it is. :D

Kegs are expensive, more valuable than the beer in them. If you take it back next you visit they will absolutely be grateful. I've read stories on pro-brewer about the wrong keg being returned by a distributor, and when the brewery reached out to the rightful owner they paid the $80 to have it shipped back to them.
I am not going to weight on in on the morals of drinking it, but you are doing them a solid returning the keg!

Actually he found something that was lost and there are likely not many ways for him to find the actual owner.

The brewery no longer owns that beer, and unless it was marked with a distributors sticker(not likely) there are probably a handful of distributors that may or may not even know if they lost said keg and thus wouldn't be able to tell you is was theirs.

Not many ways to find the owner? Finding the local Budweiser distributor shouldn't take more than five minutes on the internet and a couple of phone calls. Find the closest one, call them, ask if they have accounts in the area and had a truck out there that day and you have your answer. I'm not going to debate whether or not the beer is his to keep, but finding out where the beer came from certainly isn't the Herculean effort you make it out to be. :mug:

There is more than 1 distributor in the area. Do you suggest I call them all up and ask who lost a keg yesterday? Why don't you start calling around for me since your the one worried about it.

Personally, yeah, that's what I'd do. Call the distributors in the area and see who had a truck out in that area that day and tell them what happened. I would tell them it they want the keg they can come and get it. I certainly would expect them to make that effort.

However, it's your call, no one can make you do anything here.

Actually, he said he's going to return the keg once it's empty, implying that he knows who the owner is.

As I said, if he made a reasonable, good-faith effort to return the keg that HE DIDN'T BUY, then I'd have no problem with him keeping it. He didn't make that effort.

Wow. A lot of judgmental posters. I would love to see them scurrying around trying to find the owners of the beer and keg, maybe they could make some flyers in their free time and tack them to light posts. Sure, call the brewery. Drink the beer, they can't sell beer that's been sitting on the side of the road.
I forgot what the word stealing meant but thankfully one poster included the definition.
Here's another.
Self Righteousness- when proclamations of moral superiority become a negative personal trait.

Actually, he said he's going to return the keg once it's empty, implying that he knows who the owner is.

As I said, if he made a reasonable, good-faith effort to return the keg that HE DIDN'T BUY, then I'd have no problem with him keeping it. He didn't make that effort.

You don't buy kegs with beer in them. You buy the beer in them and rent the keg (or tap hardware).

While a 5 gallon keg isn't heavy, it would be more effort than it's worth (for me) to get it from the ditch.

I can't see ever wanting to drink anything from BMC (or other large breweries). I even cringe whenever I see the box of Corona sitting on the landing outside my mother's side door. It's not in a place that's climate controlled. So it's been getting HOT since it was purchased.

With the keg in the ditch, who knows how long it's been there. Could taste like nasty ass by now. IMO, not worth getting your beer lines dirty with it.

Wow. A lot of judgmental posters. I would love to see them scurrying around trying to find the owners of the beer and keg, maybe they could make some flyers in their free time and tack them to light posts. Sure, call the brewery. Drink the beer, they can't sell beer that's been sitting on the side of the road.
I forgot what the word stealing meant but thankfully one poster included the definition.
Here's another.
Self Righteousness- when proclamations of moral superiority become a negative personal trait.

here here!!

You popped my "liked it post" cherry!!!

Drink the beer, they can't sell beer that's been sitting on the side of the road.

Drinking the beer will be your call, but I can assure you that the line above is true. Once it's out of their possession, they can't just take it back and resell it. It would be dumped, as there is no way for them to know if the beer's gone bad, how long it sat, etc etc etc. It's not worth it to them to save $20 of ingredients and risk having a bad keg of beer sold to a customer.

If it were me, I'd drink the beer (if it's good), then return the keg to the distributor.

As a customer, would you accept a T-bone steak that was returned to Kroger/Food Lion/etc?

MC

Drinking the beer will be your call, but I can assure you that the line above is true. Once it's out of their possession, they can't just take it back and resell it. It would be dumped, as there is no way for them to know if the beer's gone bad, how long it sat, etc etc etc. It's not worth it to them to save $20 of ingredients and risk having a bad keg of beer sold to a customer.

If it were me, I'd drink the beer (if it's good), then return the keg to the distributor.

MC

I agree, they likely won't be able to sell that beer, might be good to get their call on it first. My thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em. :mug:

So it'd be different if it were a Stone or Rogue keg?

It's OK to steal from the "big guys," but not the little guys?

AB has 50% of the beer market, I think they can handle losing kegs here and there.

And yes it would be different if it were from Rogue or Stone. They are doing great things to the beer market and i think everyone here would return it to them, but it would probably be a small percentage who returns the AB keg. AB was just sued for watering down their beer, who knows how long that has been going on. How much do they think they stole during that period of watering down beers?

Like I said, I'm just surprised at how many people are the OP's side on this one.

Whenever someone comes in here bragging about how they scored a 15g stainless keg off Craigslist (almost certainly stolen) or paying a deposit and just keeping the keg, we admonish them and educate them about how costly that is to the brewery.

Yet here's a guy doing the same thing, but WITH THE BEER TOO, and we're supposed to high-five him?

With all the dictionary definitions being posted to this thread, could someone please look up "hypocrite?"

All I see is a lot of rationalizing. "Finders keepers! It's not technically stealing! BMC is rich anyway, they won't miss 1 keg!"

Come on, you're better than that. If you have kids, is this the kind of example you'd want to be setting for them? You know deep down it isn't right.

Character is how you act when no one is watching.

It's also illegal for a seller to take returns on foodstuffs. I also heard this from midwest when I talked to them about recieving the same order twice. Since they couldn't legally take it back for resale,I was allowed to keep it. The said to concider it a little payback for all the waiting on my order the first time with the big warehouse move. Might as well keep it.

I live over 200 miles away from the brewery. It is not a local brewery. For me to return the keg to them, would require a minimum of 5 hour round trip. If you took the time to look at the map, and notice where I live and where the brewery is you'd know that. Instead you jump to conclusions.

I don't know who the distributor is. There is more than 1 distributor in the area. Do you suggest I call them all up and ask who lost a keg yesterday? Why don't you start calling around for me since your the one worried about it.

That being said, I'm done with this conversation. I didn't mean for this to turn into the moral conversation about keeping/stealing kegs, but it did.

Instead of making a long drive to the brewery, why not make a short drive back to the beer truck that you saw on the side of the road?
You think it was coincidence that you saw that truck on the side of the road AND then you found a keg?

That is the conclusion that I jumped to. I never once thought you should drive back to a brewery that is so far from you.
I do conclude that you had no right to that keg.

Enjoy the beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back