wheat beer fermentation ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benpen

Reaction score
So on saturday i started my 2nd brew kit an american wheat beer and boiled 5 oranges peel zests the last 15 minutes of the boil. It smelled delicious. So my questions for you are about the fermentation. How long would you leave it in the primary and also would you put it in a secondary and if so how long in that. My first beer was a continental light ale true brew kit. I left it in primary for 1 week and secondary for 2 weeks but i know this is a different style beer so i was curious on how long. Thanks for any help its all appreciated.

Ben:ban:

Since this is a wheat bear, it is not necessary for your beer to come out clear. Haziness is natural to the style. As such, it won't benefit from a secondary, as much as it will from extra time on the yeast cake to "clean up" after itself. I would leave it in primary for between 14-21 days, and then bottle as normal. :)

Side note: orange zest is best at flameout. To misquote Pierre Celis (the father of today's witbier), if you can smell it "It is only for the neighbours". But I expect you'll still get some and it will be good.

Back