getting rid of yeast in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
quick question.. im getting a bit of white liquid on the bottom of my bottles. was told its yeast,, any way of getting rid of that for my second batch?

Well, not if you want to drink bottled homebrew. That yeast sediment is the remains of the carbonating process. When you bottle and add a bit of sugar or other fermentables, it causes a mini-fermentation in the bottle. That makes the co2 that carbonates the beer. When the yeast have finished their job, they fall to the bottom of the bottle.

One thing that helps is in the way you pour- if you chill the bottle for a while, too, that helps. The sediment will eventually become more tightly packed on the bottom, especially if you use a flocculant yeast. Then, just pour it into a glass in one pour, leaving 1/4 inch of beer in the bottle. With practice, you can have a glass of homebrew with NO yeast sediment at all in your glass. (Make sure you rinse the bottle out right away- that yeast sediment hardens into a concrete like substance once it dries!)

+1 to what Yooper says.

Also there are a few things you could do next time that maybe you aren't doing now that might help you reduce what ends up in the bottle.

Are you racking to a secondary?
Do you use any moss or pro-moss?

I believe it does. For my lighter beers where presentation is a bit more important, I'll use it.

For everything else, I pour with care and get crystal clear brews.

You're drinking real, LIVING ale, as opposed to heavily processed (and pretty much dead) bud/miller/coors...

Finnings like moss will help make for clearer beers BUT there will always be yeast at the bottom of your bottles, it is like Yooper said, needed to bottle carb your beer.

When you've been around homebrew for awhile, you get used to pouring all but less than a quarter inch into your glass...you do use a glass don't you?...Leaving the yeast behind...

I personally don't mind the yeast and usually pour it right in...

LOL. yea i do use a glass but all my friends and family like to drink right out the bottle...actually ,my father in law tried one of my beers, and the face he made after drinking that last bit full of yeast was priceless, he said he hates my beer LOL,but then again he hates everything i do :D

LOL. yea i do use a glass but all my friends and family like to drink right out the bottle...actually ,my father in law tried one of my beers, and the face he made after drinking that last bit full of yeast was priceless, he said he hates my beer LOL,but then again he hates everything i do :D

you do NOT drink homebrew out of the bottle. you're missing out on half the flavor doing so, as you get NO AROMA from the tiny bottle mouth, vs the 3" diameter of a pint glass.

a few rules

1. drink beer from a glass, always
2. don't chill your beer ice cold...this isn't budweiser, its beer. do your research and serve your beers at a temp appropriate for that beer style
3. the ONLY way to not have yeast in the bottle, is to keg the beer first, carbonate with pure CO2, and then use a counter-pressure filler (a.k.a. beer gun) to fill the bottles without blowing off the carbonation. No priming sugar means no additional sediment created.

ive always wanted to keg my own beer but m only on my second brew, maybe in a few months ill start doing some research on kegging

I think kegging is actually easier than bottling....could just be me though

kegging is WAY easier and faster than bottling...hands down.

but convenience always comes at a higher price tag...kegs and regulators and a fridge and tap lines quickly add up.

I've only brewed 2 so far, but luckily for me - Fathers day is next sunday and my birthday is the day before so yesterday I ordered my new keg setup, then told my wife thanks for the great gifts....:D:rockin:. I can't wait until it gets here - I have a brown ale sitting in the secondary just looking to be the guinney pig for the new keg....:mug:

Back