Wlp099

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
I feel like I've asked this already, but I can't find where.

Anyone have experience using the WLP099 strain for regular-strength beers? (say, 8% and under).

What was your experience, particularly in terms of resulting flavors? Any other factors that may have had bearing on it?

fwiw, I've used wlp099 - but only for barleywines.
It's the Thermonuclear Option, imo, great for chewing through massive grain bills.
But I wonder if that strain is a bit heavy handed for something in the 40-60 point range. Might dry them to the bone...

Cheers!

I used it once to "finish off" a holiday brew (OG 1064) that got stuck at 1024. I tried every trick in the book to get the original yeast going and even repitched with some US-05. Nothing. I pitched some 099 and in 2 days it was down to 1010. Too low but it kept going!. A week later it was at 1004 and had turned into a hot mess. Eventually, I dumped it. IOW, be very careful with 099 on standard strength brews.

Back