low-carbohydrate the same as low gluten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
IS there any correlation between low-gluten and low carbohydrate beer?

What techniques could one use to lower carbohydrate content of homebrew?

No correlation. Carbohydrates come from sugars, no matter the source. These sugars are what drive fermentation and alcohol content. Not sure how one would create a low carb homebrew.

Most "low carb" beers are brewed with some adjuncts and start at low OG. Less barley = less gluten, but it certainly doesn't mean low gluten or gluten free.

You can lower the carb content of finished beer by

a) brewing low alcohol versions
b) mash for a dry beer - eg mashing very low or long so that most of the carbs ferment into alcohol.
c) add simple sugars that will 100% convert to alcohol
d) brew lagers. Lager yeast eat a wider range of carbs

Of course, those will make your homebrew taste and feel a whole lot more like the commercial versions you are trying to avoid.

Most "low carb" beers are brewed with some adjuncts and start at low OG. Less barley = less gluten, but it certainly doesn't mean low gluten or gluten free.

You can lower the carb content of finished beer by

a) brewing low alcohol versions
b) mash for a dry beer - eg mashing very low or long so that most of the carbs ferment into alcohol.
c) add simple sugars that will 100% convert to alcohol
d) brew lagers. Lager yeast eat a wider range of carbs

Of course, those will make your homebrew taste and feel a whole lot more like the commercial versions you are trying to avoid.

Thanks, I am not necessarily trying to avoid commercial versions, I would be very happy to brew a Mich Ultra. I would like to have a lighter option (specifically carbs and gluten) on half of my taps.

I plan to try lowering OG and lager yeast and mashing low and (also the clarity-ferm idea thanks butterpants). Your comment on using adjuncts vs barley was interesting. I understand simple sugar fermenting completely, but which other adjuncts are a better option than barley that would be both low-carb and low gluten, but still add favorable( read malt-like ) flavors in beer?

Also if anyone knows... Do certain malts contain more carbs and gluten than others? I can assume wheat malt would have high gluten, but what effects do roasting techniques used on crystal malts, or even roasted barley have on finished beer carb and gluten levels?

" I understand simple sugar fermenting completely, but which other adjuncts are a better option than barley that would be both low-carb and low gluten, but still add favorable( read malt-like ) flavors in beer?"

Corn and rice are neutral flavors used in some commercial versions and are gluten free. Subbing out some of the pilsner for those will lower gluten levels.

If you want a really low carb beer, I'm talking a low and long mash and possibly adding some extra enzymes. Somethings like 2 hours at 145 and then raise to 155 to finish.

Thanks, what would raising to 155* accomplish after 2 hours @ 145? ( I only ask because I mash in a cooler ).

That puts it into prime alpha range and any remaining starches will be rapidly broken down. It's a pretty traditional step for getting maximum fermentability. Depending on how much adjuct you use, it may or may not be necessary. Adjuncts don't have enzymes, so the more you use, the more you have to pay attention to getting full conversion.

In a cooler, you just stir in boiling water until you get to the desired temp. There are calculators out there (greenbayrackers etc) that will give you approximate volumes.

Remember that if you use corn it doesn't have enzymes sufficient to convert so you will need to add enzymes or cereal mash with something that does.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know I'm sort of rehashing things others have already said but- the lower your FG is the fewer carbohydrates there are in the beer. Mashing low is pretty much how you do that. I usually go 148 for 40 min and 160 for 20.
Corn and rice are gluten free but they are high in carbohydrate.

-low OG
-use a highly attenuative yeast strain (lager or ale doesn't matter)
-low FG
-using highly fermentable adjuncts like sugar or honey will bring down that FG

So FG = carbs.

Is it possible to raise FG without raising carbs?

no.

as you say FG=carbs. Gravity in our world is a measurement of sugar content (not really but for all intents and purposes it is in brewing)

For low/no gluten beers clarity ferm is the way to go. it breaks down all the protein linkages that make up gluten and seems, at least so far, to make a beer with no detectable gluten. I have served beer treated with clarity ferm to celiac friends with no ill effects.

Low carb is a beer is only going to be acheived through low OG combined with low FG.

Think of it this way. If alcohol content is the difference between OG and FG, and alcohol is a sugar, and sugars are carbs, carb content is the difference between OG and FG.

Gravity is the concentration of sugars in the wort. Fermentation is converting those sugars to alcohol.

Gravity is the concentration of sugars in the wort. Fermentation is converting those sugars to alcohol.

gravity is actually the measurement of relative density between pure water at a given temperature (1.000) and impure water at the same temperature. therefor it's a measure of impurity rather than sugar concentration. It's just that the only major impurity we are introducing to the water in significant amounts is sugar.

Hence my qualification.

Back