HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a "do not tell list"? Dang!!! The things I learn from asking questions.... I guess I better do my homework and use the "context clues"!

A little bit of research goes a long way! I have been educated and entertained at the same time. (EAC = HAHAHAHAHAHA I'm not worthy!)

Geeze, where's the sense of adventure these days? SWMBO was a ten-second search to figure out.

EAC, now that was a fun night! I spent what seemed like hours tracking that one down! All to find out it was simply Enormous Anal Cavity. I really thought it would be something more fun/x-rated than that!

:D;)

Geeze, where's the sense of adventure these days? SWMBO was a ten-second search to figure out.

EAC, now that was a fun night! I spent what seemed like hours tracking that one down! All to find out it was simply Enormous Anal Cavity. I really thought it would be something more fun/x-rated than that!

:D;)

I can tell you that if you think EAC means what you listed, I can assure you that you are wrong. But, I'll assume you are joking anyways because you also would have discovered that you could be tortured for posting it! :mug:

Is there a post on here for all the acronyms, i.e. MLT, HLT, BK? I'm a real newbie with a lot of brewing stuff given to me and I'm dying to be drinking beer made by me.

Seriously! Why is etc. a preposition?

If I end a sentence in et cetera. Would that be correct?

Wikipedia defines etc. as latin for "and other things", or "and so forth".

Forth, nor things are not prepositions.

I understand why you do not end a sentance with a preposition.

I suck at grammer and puncuation, but I am pretty good at spelling.

Educate me please.

stillbrewin said:
Seriously! Why is etc. a preposition?

If I end a sentence in et cetera. Would that be correct?

Wikipedia defines etc. as latin for "and other things", or "and so forth".

Forth, nor things are not prepositions.

I understand why you do not end a sentance with a preposition.

I suck at grammer and puncuation, but I am pretty good at spelling.

Educate me please.

Typically prepositions show the relationship between two or more nouns (there are special cases like "of"). That is why et cetera is a preposition. It used to be abbreviated &c.

Old thread but I have to add refridgerate to the list. Also, unsanitary should actually be insanitary but I'm afraid momentum is too strong to turn that train around.

unsanitary should actually be insanitary

Insanitary: adj. So unclean as to be a likely cause of disease.
Unsanitary: adj. Not sanitary; adj. not conducive to or promoting health; dirty or unhygienic.

That may be a bit hyper-technical for a home brewing forum.

With you on the "refridgerate" issue though:mug:

Insanitary: adj. So unclean as to be a likely cause of disease.
Unsanitary: adj. Not sanitary; adj. not conducive to or promoting health; dirty or unhygienic.

That may be a bit hyper-technical for a home brewing forum.

This hear thred is unsane. Can we not just get along...or...at least conversate?

May I use three periods in lieu of a comma?:ban:

I think I have used Insanitary to describe a Tijuana bar bathroom.

this bugs me, because it's more often than not spelled incorrectly on this forum

roselare = ?
Roeselare = a Belgian city and municipality in the Flemish province of West Flanders ... The city is also home to the Rodenbach brewery. (thx wikipedia)

if you pronounce it right, with 'roe' sounding like 'roo' in kangaroo, you won't maintain the desire to spell it wrong!

or, just read the damn wyeast pack!
YEAST STRAIN: 3763 | Roeselare Ale Blend

I wish I could like this more than once. I, along with many other members it seems; like things to be correctly spelled and grammar to be correct as well. Why bother asking for help or posting at all if you lack the energy it takes to hit the GD comma button or the apostrophe. Glad I'm not alone on this one.

You have a valid point, however, we all come here at least in-part to learn.
The infomation we choose to use or ignore is the same here as in the brewing arena. This thread makes it fun for some of us. I can see where it's not everyone's cup of tea.

For me, personally, I tend to question the knowledge of someone who makes simple grammatical errors in their posts. If someone doesn't know the difference between our and are (this one really bugs me--they aren't even PRONOUNCED the same!) how can they be expected to know the difference between the proper way to do something and the improper way to do something.

For example:

Then put are yeast in the fermentation vessel.

vs

Then put our yeast in the fermentation vessel.

If people said this, one using our and the other using are, I would tend to view the one using our as more knowledgeable. Even if this is really not the case. It is strictly a perception thing.

Sorry, I was mistaken. It's will-AM-it - dammit.

Are you sure it isn't will-AH-mit? That sounds right to me :mug:

And remember, capitalization can be important too!

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse!

"Let's eat grandpa." is a lot more fun to say than "Lets eat, Grandpa."

Fun post to read. I LOVE how 700 people asked if an acronym page existed. Read the whole thread before you ask. I understand that some posts get up to 700 pages, but if you are asking what kind of yeast to use in apfelwein, I'm sure reading the first three pages would help. I would say redundancy of posts are far worse than the grammatical errors.

The search bar is also your friend.

This thread makes me laugh, seems like everyone on this site should know drinking causes drain bramage. For what its worth i dont think its fair to discriminate stupidity, people cant help the way they were born.

My single biggest pet peeve in homebrewing: acetaldehyde is five syllables, not six. Far too many people pronounce it as "aah-see-tul-al-duh-hide", when it should be "aah-sid-al-de-hide."

When in doubt, think of that old hippie "Acid Al" DeHyde. :)

Do the people who criticize spelling errors on a beer forum feel inadequate or something else, do they need to justify the perception they have on other members by thinking they are smarter because they can spell or punctuate better. This is the problem with society,if we all were here to chat about and share experiences with homebrewing this would be a better place. Some people get on websites like this to get away from all the a** holes who try to act superior because they either know how to use spell check or feel the need to put others down so that they can justify the thoughts they have on they're own intelligence level. Oppps they're there or their.....

My single biggest pet peeve in homebrewing: acetaldehyde is five syllables, not six. Far too many people pronounce it as "aah-see-tul-al-duh-hide", when it should be "aah-sid-al-de-hide."

When in doubt, think of that old hippie "Acid Al" DeHyde. :)

My biggest pet peeve is people that pronounce the t as a d in acetaldehyde.:rolleyes:

My biggest pet peeve is people that pronounce the t as a d in acetaldehyde.:rolleyes:

You're right, of course... of course here in NJ we pronounce most of our T's as D's. Especially when we're "down the shore."

:)

To Dudest: I don't think it's about acting superior, but rather trying to educate others. The lack of basic understanding of the language is sometimes appalling, and only getting worse all the time. If you can't communicate properly then you can't communicate effectively.

Amarillo, not Armadillo... no one calls it Amarillo Gold anymore either
Whirlfloc, not Whirlflock
Attenuate, not Attentuate
Amylase, not Amalase
Cacao Nibs, not Cocoa Nibs
Phosphoric, not Phosophoric
Raspberry Pureé, not Rasberry Puree
Pilsener, not Pilsner... this might be old English
Pliny the Elder, not Pliney the Elder
Candi Syrup, not Candy Syrup
Briess, not Breiss
Muntons, not Munsons

Oints
You're right, of course... of course here in NJ we pronounce most of our T's as D's. Especially when we're "down the shore."

:)

To Dudest: I don't think it's about acting superior, but rather trying to educate others. The lack of basic understanding of the language is sometimes appalling, and only getting worse all the time. If you can't communicate properly then you can't communicate effectively.

I disagree it easy enough to communicate with just a flip of the finger if need be or a facial expression or writing with capitals or using exlimation points ect. People tend to educate themselves if they give a sh:) t.

Nothing to do with beer, but a very common mistake that gets me is the misuse of the word "Calvary" instead of "Cavalry" (I'm a bit of a civil war nut as well as a beer nut, but not a religious nut!)

I have even heard recognized history academics on Youtube confusing these two words!

Dunno why it should bother me .... but it does!

Brian.

I was surprised to not see palate here, as opposed to palette or pallet.

Not specific to brewing, but I see the word "commercial" spelled incorrectly ("commerical") a lot on here.

:tank:

Not related to brewing either, but people use "man" instead of "mang". That's just not right.

Thanks Yuri. Funny, this forum. Many other forums I visit have a much lower class of posters that think posting in text (as if it is a language) is acceptable. Some of those posts I can't even read. "I hv prb w/my bere. "
WTF?

Actually. It rhymes with tiny!

Sorry, but that is not correct.

Pliny the Elder was an honorary title, his real name was Gaius Plinius Secundus... and Plinius does not rhyme with tiniest.

That said, you're in good company -- I'd guesstimate about 90%, including Vinnie, pronounce it wrong. ;)

I haven't gone through all the posts, but in a quick search I didn't find this: "yeast washing" is not the same as "yeast rinsing". Most people rinse their yeast but mistakenly call it washing. Yeast washing involves using acids to lower the pH of the slurry to kill off unwanted bacteria. Yeast rinsing is using water to dilute and help settle out trub and yeast that may floc too quickly or not quickly enough. It'd be great if people used the proper term for whichever method they're using. :mug:

Back