Pellicle Infection...Dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamoss317

Reaction score
This mocha stout has been in secondary fermentation for about 2 weeks. See the picture below of infection in the beer with gross pellicle. There is a strong ester smell that almost made me gag when I put my head in the bucket. I have not tasted it b/c I'm afraid to...think I should dump? I sanitize things as best I can with rinse free generic stuff...but my tygon auto-siphon hose may be the culprit. Is it worth saving?

dmv91e.jpg

It's definitely infected, unfortunately.

I think the culprit is more likely the bucket for a "secondary" with that wide, huge headspace. In primary, co2 protects the beer from oxygen even with a big headspace, but if you're going to rack to a clearing vessel after primary, it should be a carboy with very limited headspace to avoid this kind of thing.

I'd probably let it sit and see if it forms into a nice sour, or a dumper.

Thanks for the quick reply...my first post! I will dump bc I dont much care for sours. I will start using the 5 gal fermented and my glass carboy for secondary as you suggested.

Thanks for the quick reply...my first post! I will dump bc I dont much care for sours. I will start using the 5 gal fermented and my glass carboy for secondary as you suggested.

Or- just skip the "secondary". It's not really a secondary fermentation anyway, like it would be for wine. I'd suggest just keeping the beer in the original fermenter for two weeks, maybe three so it's pretty clear, and then bottling.

I would rack under the pellicle and get it kegged and chilled...guessing the cold temps and lack of o2 will either slow or stop the infection. I had one batch that was exposed w/ too much headspace and started to skin over, and simply kegged it w/ no real adverse taste...of course YMMV.

In my opinion, cold crashing fixes everything. I would take it, throw it in a fridge (colder the better, as long as it doesnt freeze) and leave it and taste it after a week. Cold crashing seems to solve all my problems.

Back