Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsonave

Reaction score
Did a all grain NB kit this weekend. Their recipe states an OG of 1.044. Mine came out 1.050. Any ideas on what could create a difference? I could only assume the grain bill was overweighed when sent....

image-3037781089.jpg

samsonave said:
Did a all grain NB kit this weekend. Their recipe states an OG of 1.044. Mine came out 1.050. Any ideas on what could create a difference? I could only assume the grain bill was overweighed when sent....

Everyone's efficiency is different - yours might be higher than what they use in their calculations...

Size of your batch might have ended up.under 5 g, or maybe they assumed a 5.25 g batch size.

In the end, you learn to predict your recipes based on your equipment - recipes from other people just give you a good estimate.

I did a NB partial allgrain yesterday...was suppose to be 1.065....came out..1.070...I squeezed the crapola out of those grains...my wort was 80 f at the time...not sure how to adjust for temp...as my hydrometer is calibrated for 60 f...can anybody explain the adjustment ?...

If your hydrometer is calibrated at 60f, then at 70 add .001, at 77 add .002, at 84 add .003, at 95 add .005, and at 105 add .007. and if you squeezed the "crapola" out of the grain bag, you could have raised the SG a bit. I'm thinking the Final gravity is going to be more important than the starting gravity, especially at bottling.

Back