Cascade Vs. Willamette question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermentalist

Reaction score
First time hop grower. I planted in pots knowing i have to find them a permanent home next year. I live in the CA bay area. 1 Cascade rhizome and 1 Willamette per pot. I Planted about 3 weeks ago and both have sprouted and look like they are doing well. Willamette sprouted with 2 thick, hefty bines. (1/8- 1/4 inch)They just started to put out some leaves. Cascade Sprouted 9 itty bitty thin sprouts (1/16 inch). Is this difference in bine size normal between the 2 strains? I guess I just didnt think they could look so different in thickness and number of sprouts per rhizome.

Next question. My Willamette will obviously run both bines up 1 string. Do I run all 9 cascade bines up strings for this first year? (I was thinking 3 per string if so) I ask because Ive heard you let all bines grow and mature in the first year but, 9 seems like a lot out of 1 rhizome and being in a pot. what would you do?

I'll post pics in the next day or two so you can see what im talking about
Thanks

First year growth is all about growing the roots/crown. Any cones harvested the first year are a bonus. I would let any growth climb any string they get to. I train 3-4 bines up the ropes on my plants, but they are third year plants, and I'm now looking for yield now, not root growth. First years I let grow as much plant as I can get. I am doing just that with some new plants now.

I have 2nd year Willamette and Cascades and they have completely different growth patterns. First year the willamette only put out 1 giant thick bine that was almost an inch in diameter at the base. This year it put out 5 thick purple shoots that supported themselves in a hail storm when they were almost 2 feet tall before I had put the trellis up. The first year cascade put out 5 little spindly shoots but by the end of the year were all massive with crazy laterals and I got more than a pound of wet cones. This year it put out more than a dozen little shoots that got flattened out by a light rain. Today the willamette was more than 6ft tall and the cascade is maybe 3 ft.

Thanks. Sounds like they are right on track. gbx's description was spot on. Here are the pics.

Right pic = Cascade
Left pic = Willamette

DSCN0220.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

Back