Tea Time IPA - 2 lbs Teamaker Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBreweryUnderground

Reaction score
So I've become intrigued by the teamaker hops recently and have been playing with the idea of an English IPA done with these hops. They're not really meant for brewing but it could be an interesting experiment. So the recipe goes like this:
Grain:
10lbs Maris Otter
1lb Crystal
1lb Carapils

Hops (all 4 oz additions):
FWH
5/FO
Dry hop once after krausen falls and another time 2-3 days before bottling
That's a total of 2lbs but it gets the IBUs into the 60s, a little on the high side for and English IPA but I'm expecting weak alpha acids. I'm also a bit afraid it will come out too sweet with the hops not able to compensate with much bitterness.

The main problem I see is the amount of wort loss due to hops, so I think a bigger boil and using hop spider/bags and squeezing them to death. Has anyone brewed with this (beer not tea) and have any suggestions?

I'm also not experienced with British Ale yeasts, Neobritannia, or Thames so suggestions would be helpful, especially because hops could present a problem with fermentation.

How awesome would it be to say you have brewed a beer with 2 lbs of hops! Yeah this all kind of sounds stupid but it's in the spirit of experimentation.

I guess it's used to make some teas as it isn't too bitter, hop tea is great to help get to sleep. Also the high amount of beta acids gives it an antibacterial property, so it's being used (on a very small scale) as a replacement for medicines given to livestock. I don't really know how it would translate to beer.

I have no idea how it would turn out, but it sounds like fun.
I wouldn't call it an English IPA though. Most English IPA's have very little hop flavour or aroma nowadays, but having been introduced to American IPA's, I find they are much better with several ounces of late addition hops. I usually use about 1/2 lb for a 5 gallon batch, and love the results (as do my friends).
I love WLP023 (Burton Ale yeast) in IPA's. It ferments very vigorously and adds some interesting flavours to the brew, but you need to watch out for blow-offs. I couldn't find a Wyeast equivalent. Alternatively, S-04 works pretty well and is cheap and easy.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

-a.

Did you ever brew this? I planted a Teamaker rhizome a few weeks ago. Widmer Brothers brews a spiced IPA that uses Teamaker which is really good. My reason for choosing the teamaker is to use it in IPA's and I want to try using them in Lambics and see how it turns out.

Planning a SMASH with a similiar hops addition as above.
WLP001
2-row Colorado Western Slope
4 - 4oz Teamaker additions.
@60, 45, 30, 15min

My plant is only in its 2nd year so I got 1lb yield this year.
So I am going to do half as many additions. This will be brewed by the end of January. I will try to post some updates since there are so few threads that finish.

I would love to know how the IPA turned out.

Neve got back to this until now. The smash turned out good the hops held up for months in the bottle. It was verymuch a grapefruit juice bomb.

Back