My First Recipe -- Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jathorp

Reaction score
This is my first recipe and my first post on this forum. (I'm a noob, but I wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of information. It's been a real help.)

My LHBS was out of a lot of ingredients, but I was determined to brew a wit today, nonetheless. I've posted my recipe below. I'm worried about using the Wyeast 3942 (Belgian wheat) instead of the Wyeast 3944 or the White Labs 400. Do y'all think My beer will remotely resemble a wit or will it be some wit/hefe bastard-stepchild?

Ingredients:

8 OZ torrified wheat
1.25 LBS white wheat
1.25 Belgian pilsner

4 LBS LME
1 LBS DME

1/3 OZ Coriander
1/3 OZ Bitter orange
1 OZ Cascade Hops

Wyeast 3942

50 minute boil:
- 1/2 OZ hops @ 30 mins.
- coriander and orange @ 15 mins.
- 1/2 OZ hops @ 3 mins.

OG -- 1.053

This is only my third batch. I pitched at 78F and my bucket is sitting in 69 F ambient air. I would have liked to pitch at closer to 70, but I did a poor job cooling my wort and I didn't think it would be a good idea to wait more than an hour before pitching.

I'm planning on leaving it in the primary for 14 days and then secondary for 7 more before bottling.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Is your LME and DME wheat (50%wheat malt, 50% pale malt, exact depends on manufacture)?

You will have less phenols if you are able to ferment at lower temps. Otherwise you can ferment warm and let it do what it wants to. It won't be quite the same, but from looking up that strain it doesn't seem to be a bad choice. I, however, have never used it. In either case it isn't described as having banana and clove notes so I don't think you will end up with a weird wit/hefe mutant.

Will

Will,

The DME is Briess Bavarian Wheat -- 65/35
The LME is Alexander's wheat -- 60/40

LHBS owner assured me that the 3942 would be a good choice for a wit, but the vast majority of recipes I've found call for 400 or 3942. What can I say? I'm a worrier.

I see you're in NOLA, too. Who Dat.

-- Joe

Back