Gelatin questins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I am ready to jump on the gelatin band wagon. I have a ESB in a secondary that I already used Irish moss in but would like to see it a little clearer. Should I leave it a lone and start using gelatin on the future brews that I didn't use Irish moss.

Also I know that I need to wait to add the gelatin until fermentation is done.I know that I should wait a few days after adding the gelatin before racking but do I have to rack it rite away or can I add the gelatin and leave it a for a week or more?

Thanks for any tips :mug:

I use irish moss on all of my beers, I also use gelatin as well, no harm in using both! My SOP is to wait until fermentation is complete and everything has dropped fairly well, I then add the gelatin (using the prep methods from elsware on here). I drop the fermentor temp down into the mid 30s and let it sit for another few days, maybe a week, it seems to work fast so probably a day or two with the beer temp in the 30s would be fine, I then rack into a keg and into the kegerator it goes, as amazingly clear beer!

I just tried gelatin for the second time on a current batch, and to be honest, I'm not really sold just yet. I was debating whether to bother - the beer had cleared but still had some haze - but I was looking to get this batch as clear as possible in the allotted time. With all the hubub about gelatin fining, I decided to give it another shot. After primary was done, I transfered to secondary and dropped the temps down to 40 degrees. I added gelatin to the secondary two days ago, and like last time, I can't really see an appreciable difference. Like I said, the beer was already kinda clear, so perhaps the gelatin was superfluous. Guess we'll see how it looks at serving time.

Back